Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! My toddler ate a whole pack of gum?!?!

Just discovered that my toddler ate an entire pack of gum. It may have been a partial pack so I don't know how much was in it, but I have discovered at least 6-8 wrappers so far and she's been having liquid diarrhea all morning.

Do I need to take her to the doctor?

Don't even know where she got the gum; we didn't know we had it in the house!!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (8)
  • I would call a doctor...depending on where and how fast she ate it, it could block her intestines or bowels.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • Where it is in her body...left that out of PP
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • She's been having the diarrhea for a few hours...I just discovered the wrappers and assume she must have eaten them sometime this morning. It's probably been at least 5 or 6 hours since she ate it! :-/
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • call poison control or her doctor and ask. Never hurts to call and ask if she needs to be seen or what to do.
    auroura

    Answer by auroura at 7:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • There is an ingredient in some gum's that will cause diarrhea
    abellvalerie

    Answer by abellvalerie at 7:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • the gum will come out whole u parents over react. kids have been eatin gum for years. since ur worried call her dr to make urself feel better. poison control? r u serious GUM is not poison
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • gum can be dangerous if swallowed especially for kids. it can block their intestines and takes many years for it to dissolve and that can cause problems. you should call your doctor if you haven't already.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • An fyi to the 2nd Anon reply - this was entire pack of gum. We're talking about 18 pieces. Of course gum is not "poison" but this was an entire pack consumed rapidly by a tiny child. I had good reason to be concerned. I don't just leave gum lying around for my toddler to eat, because no matter how you slice it, it's not good for her.

    My toddler ended up being fine, but she had a lot of gastrointestinal discomfort for a few days.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN