What kinds of healthy, EASY snacks can I give my 16 mo?

I'm sure this is a question that has been asked a million times, but my husband loads our son up with cheese puffs, animal crackers, cookies, etc and I really need to make an effort to give him something HEALTHY & filling. (He doesn't like cheese as a snack)

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Easy things...

Chop up some melon.
    Chop up some banana (very filling)
    Blend avocado with a squeeze of lemon/lime (very filling).

My son tends to eat 3-4 bananas in a row and is good for a while. He also loves eating avocado.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Obviously fresh fruit would be a perfect snack but requires the time for peeling/cutting. dried fruits can be easy and filling. Just avoid the ones with added sugar. It's easier and more portable than fresh fruit when necessary. Apricots and "dried plums" I cut using kitchen sissors. Whole grain crackers, applesauce and yogurt also make good, quick snacks.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• One other suggestion. I always have cooked whole wheat pasta in my fridge. It also makes a good easy snack.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Does he like yogurt?? How about cream cheese? I spread cream cheese on a wheat tortilla wrap thingy and cut it in little squares with scissors. Usually i grate carrots on top too, but that's getting a little complicated. I do a lot of fresh fruit too. Blueberries and grapes are easy (squished or cut). My husband is also all about the "not so healthy" snacks. I don't even think he knows what fruit is.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i was also going to say fruit, but for more on the go type snacks.. the little gerber graduate snacks are healthy and easy (not so messy!)
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Earth's Best makes some great organic gram crackers that are full of nutrients and vitamins. They're expensive in the grocery store, but pretty cheap if you get them at Target. Plus I think they're the same price as the cookies you are probably already giving him.

My son likes chopped cucumbers and tomatoes. He also likes raisins, bananas, and yogurt.

A healthy alternative to cheese puffs could be Pirate's Booty. It's found in the health food section of the grocery store is is a puffed corn sort of product and it's very healthy. They also have veggie crisps which are like potato chips but they're baked and made from carrots and spinach and things like that.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't buy snacks for my LO that aren't healthy. That way she can't be fed unhealthy things. I will occasionally buy cookies or bake something, but I usually put that away. She can have a little, but it is primarily for DH. I never buy chips or cheese puffs. I personally LOVE cheese puffs and if I bought them I would eat them ALL! Pirate's booty is very tasty and not nearly so bad for you!

I give DD whole grain goldfish crackers, Annies crackers (cheese and graham), All bran crackers, all kinds of fresh fruit, freeze dried apples, cereal (kix, cheerios, frosted mini wheat), cheese cubes - maybe try mozzarella (string cheese) instead of cheddar, and leftovers (like the half sandwich she left on her plate at lunch)
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 11:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009