If you wash your bathroom rug (on gentle cycle) in the washer, does the backing tend to come off? Or am I doing something wrong?

merryheart

Asked by merryheart at 7:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• No, I've done the same and the backing comes off. Atleast you didn't wash it with towels like I did.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I find that once a bathroom rug reaches a certain age, the backing comes off in the washer and dryer. Before that, it stays intact. I think it's just the rubber rotting, but I may be wrong about that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The backing only lasts a year or so, from my experience. If you are washing the rug on gentle, on warm or cold, it should last about that long. I never buy rugs anymore with that backing. The thick rugs without backing are more expensive, but they don't slip, which would be the reason for getting rugs with backing. Toilet seat lid covers with backing don't last long either.

Answer by Bmat at 7:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I just googled, and from what I can find, cold water, no dryer. I also found it recommended like I did to buy the cotton, no backing rugs, since the backing can stain flooring.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• So far I haven't had a problem with mine. We've had them over a year. We have a front loading washer, I use cold water and I hang dry them.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have a Wal-Mart bath rug, and I have not had an issue so far. I wash it on the short, cold cycle by itself, then I run it through the dryer once on low heat to fluff it back up.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They did every time I had those rugs with a backing.  I finally bought these in yellow for the kids' bathroom and linen and white for our bathroom (we switch off when we wash them).  I've washed them over and over and over and they look brand new.  They're really absorbent and soft, too. http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/sonoma/bath/PRD~c14154/SONOMA+life+++style+Solid+Cotton+Reversible+Bath+Rugs.jsp

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2009