Where can we find a good math book for a 4th grader?

The teacher he has doesn't cover all of the infomation in class. And then they're not allowed to bring their mathbooks home. So when my nephew comes home, they call me in order to help him. The answers have to be in his own words or she complains. Is there a good mathbook out there that he can use that will explain to him how to get the answer? Or how to solve the problems? I've seen something called Abeka? Are they any good? Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in

• Math answers in his own words??? What kind of a poetry guru is teaching this class. I would call the principal. But you are not the mom. Math is THE MOST IMPORTANT subject in 4th and 5th grade. Before that Reading, But 4th and 5th is time for mulitpication, division, fractions and decimals. If they don't get it they are sunk and will drop math the minute it is no longer required. I'm a real math geek and this is a passion of mine. If you are the math geek in your family do your best to make sure the kid get the concepts. I don't really care what grade is assigned or if he doesn't use the right words, although I don't want him getting picked on by the teacher. I care that he understands the concepts and is comfortable with numbers. Make pizza or pie and cut it up for fractions. Play with money (good for decimals) I don't care if he uses his own words I care that he gets the right answers. That book should be home!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I love saxon math books. They are super easy to understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Try www.math.com It is an excellent math website. You can also ask the teacher if the book is available online. My son's math, english and science books are all available online.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Contact the school and find out the title and edition of the book. You should be able to find a copy on ebay or at www.alibris.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We managed to supplement our son's math classes with an elementary school math book and both an Algebra One and Two course book that we bought at a Library book sale. We haven't used the Algbebra Two book very often (he's in the 8th grade) but the Algebra book was invaluable since he was in about 6th grade. The elementary book I have, I am honestly not sure what grade level it is but it covers a lot of basic math skills, but its definitely an older book. PurpleMath.com is a great site too! Worse comes to worse call the superintendent and ask how much a book would be to keep at home. They do get a wholesale discount and if you offer to pay for it, they may allow you to purchase one.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Depends on what you mean by a "good" math book and what you want to accomplish with it. If you are only looking to help him figure out the work he is doing for school, I'd suggest getting the same book. Like rkoloms said, call the school and find out what book it he is using and see if you can find it online. If you want to brush up on math yourself so you can help him, Saxon is good and thorough but it can be difficult to figure out which book you need and they can be expensive. I personally like Barron's Arithmetic the Easy Way for a good overview. If you are looking for a supplemental book for him, DK's Math Made Easy is both good and cheap. If you are looking for extra help for him on a specific topic such as fractions or decimals, you might try the Key to...series by Key Curriculum Press. HTH
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2009