Montessori school vs. traditional school

I'd like to hear opinions and experiences

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It depends on the child. Go check out Montessori and they will tell you the same thing. Kids with attention issues do not do well in Montessori as there is a lot of movement and noise all the time, very distracting. Montessori kids learn to think outside the box and need to be self motivated. We have a k-8 program here and the kids do well in High school IF they had a good program and it was right for them. Traditional school is good for kids that need a lot of instruction and parents that want the traditional approach to education. Do not expect a lot of what you remember as school out of Montessori like history and English in the traditional sense. If you really want to try Montessori, the earlier the better because if you find it is not a good fit, you can switch over to traditional school without being too far behind in their way of learning.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I went to Montessori from toddler and then switched to traditional school in first grade. I plan to put my child in as soon as possible. I got a head start at my Montessori school. I knew far more about all subjects, especially reading and math, than the kids who had only gone to traditional school. But, each school is different, so I would go sit in and check it out. Montessori was designed for children with learning difficulties so it can be beneficial to children who aren't progressing as quickly as their peers. The math philosophy for pre-school is extremely effective for girls. As an educator (college prep and university), I can quickly pick out my Montessori students, even if they only went in pre-K or elementary.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I checked into it for my son. It's not for him. He needs more structure, rather than "work at your pace".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Montessori relies very heavily on student-directed learning. A highly self-motivated child my excel in the program where a child who needs more instruction/direction will not fit. Montessori also focuses more on studies then socializing, so for the child who really needs to learn proper social relationships, or a natural introvert child, the program may not be suitable. This can go the opposite way too. If your child is very sociable and active they may not fit in the montessori program either, mainly because these "active" children are labeled as trouble makers. The best advice anyone can give is to visit the national montessori website, and go sit in an actual montessori classroom and observe what takes place. There's no on size fits all program in education so take into consideration your child's needs, then observe a montessori program and your local elementary schools program and go from there.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my son goes to a montessori preschool. i like that the teachers are real teachers, they have college degrees and certifications in montessori teaching, that is their career, i didnt really find that with traditional prek's -- more teachers at those schools seem to do it as a "job." something to do until they graduate, something to do while their kids are in preschool. i feel more of a commitment from the monetessori program. also i see a lot more respective and constructive social learning in montessori. in my area, it was just the best choice.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2009