DS11 Is very concern about his penis size

Recently DS11 had a sleep over and I guess some time in the night he walked in on his friend using the rest room and saw his friends penis. Well DS came and talked to DH and I and said his penis is extra small he said the size of a tic tac. I haven't looked nor has DH. Last year he complained that it hurt a lot and we took him to the doc and the doc found nothing wrong but it bothers him greatly. How do I help him? Also he is not cut down there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Children need to know that they grow at different rates than their friends. They also need to be told about family values regarding their bodies. My family has always promoted the idea that we are all made perfectly to do everything that our bodies need to do. I used to work with child talent-- kids who did tv commercials and such-- and there is a big push in the industry to be perfect. I told the kids "We need someone with this special trait for XYZ" so they cold see exactly where they fit. Like braces or glasses or freckles or a widow's peak hair line... There is a market for everything. Mostly, he needs to know he is normal and he's growing at a normal rate.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Tell him he will get bigger as he goes through puberty. This would be a good time to get a book on puberty and what his body is and will be going through. It also could be because he is uncircumsized. Reassure him that he will be ok. Each boy develops at their own pace.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My son just turned 10 and you are scaring me! lol I think they are right...maybe now is the time to teach about puberty and that everyone develops at different rates...maybe he needs to see his dad's and that he will grow like his dad as he gets older. And lets face it, some men are smaller than others and there's not much we can do about it. I think my son isn't going to be too large there but he will just have to deal with it in his own way. His dad (my ex) was really small and we were virgins when we got married so I never knew until the wedding day :( He's a big guy so I just assumed that his penis would be too...that's why we should never assume...lol....anyway good luck with it...I know I'll have to deal with the same thing soon.
    cissykissy

Answer by cissykissy at 5:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was the last girl in my entire class to get my period. I was the last to need a bra too. Like said before, you need to explain to your son about puberty and how all kids reach different stages at different times. Explain to him that he will grow into a manly sized penis some day too. Also explain that even as grown men, penises have varying sizes just like women's breasts sizes vary. Make sure to not make a big deal about penis size. Focus on the function of a penis, be very honest about it, and explain that penises in all different sizes still function just fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Remind him that everyone grows at different times. Just because his friend is larger than he is, it doesn't matter...

Also, it is not because he isn't circ'd That has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a penis. In fact, the foreskin adds length.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yeah....it is a hard age! Some of the kids are more developed and some are still kids. That is the torture of the middle school years. Unavoidable, unfortunately. And so are body issues. Part of the territory. All we can do as parents is help our kids deal with it and hope they learn to accept themselves. The self esteem takes a beating at this age....hasn't it always? Isn't that how most of us had our characters built? If he is generally happy and has friends and a supportive family he will come through it okay, just like the 99% of the people in our society who don't live up to the standards set by it!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• It's hard for kids that age regardless of their situation. My son is 13 and is VERY big for his age and he has a hard time with that as well. It really becomes a self-esteem issue.
    Suzyballetmom99

Answer by Suzyballetmom99 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yes it can be a difficult question...my 10 yr old once asked me why his willy is so muxh smaller than my ds2 who is 7...could not tell him that it is b/c there was a huge diff b/n their fathers!
    latinaedy

Answer by latinaedy at 12:06 AM on May. 30, 2012