potty training, am I doing something wrong

Am I doing something wrong. Just tell me. So my daughter will be three in febraury. I've been trying to potty train her off and on, but not forcing her. About once a week, I will put underwear on her and try to get her to go on the potty. Sometimes she will, but she will eventually have an accident, so I think maybe she just doesn't get this and I put the diaper back on. But she is not potty training.

funnygirlecu

Asked by funnygirlecu at 8:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Going back and forth between diapers and panties could be causing confusion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you need to be consistent and do this everyday, not once a week. try training pants, they are like underwear, but absorbant like a diaper.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Just put diapers on her at night. Like anon said, she is probably confused about what she is supposed to do. You'll have to keep an eye on her so that she doesn't have accidents on the couch, etc. You will need to keep after her to remind her to go potty. Others will sometimes put their child on the potty every couple hours to reinforce the idea of using the potty.

Keep patient, keep at it and good luck.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Idea: if you can't watch them like a hawk and worry about her wetting your couch, then put panties on and put a pull up on over the panties. She will get the feel of the panties, and you will get the absorbancy of the "diaper"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Don't do it half way. If you want to potty train her, then potty train her. She is confused and maybe not ready. If you want, you can try to sit her on the toilet every day for maybe 10 min. before her nap or before bedtime, just to get her used to sitting on the toilet. If she pees good, if not, just put a diaper on her and send her on her way.
    Once you decide to potty train her fully, take the diaper off, put panties on her, and don't put the diaper back on. That will just confuse her. Also, I would not do the pull-ups, because she won't be able to feel it when she has an accident. Just do the panties when you feel she is ready to be fully potty trained. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She may NOT be ready yet. Also, if you are going to try and train her, you have to do so consistently. Underware daily, not once a week.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Are you trying any kind of reward system with her? For instance, you could use a sticker chart & once she gets so many stickers on the chart like 5 or so she would get some sort of reward. Like a new toy, going out for ice cream, ect. That's usually a good choice for reward for potty training. However, with my son I had to pretty much use a bribe system. He doesn't get candy very often because I look at it as a treat or reward. So, what I did was bought some Hershey's kisses, tootsie rolls, dum-dum suckers & the fun-size candy bars and put some of each in a sandwich size zip-loc baggie & hung the bag over the toilet in the bathroom. It was out of his reach, but where he could see it. I told him that each time he used to potty he could choose one item from the bag. It worked like a charm. With about 2 wks he was only wearing a pull-up over night and was fully using the potty during the day & the candy wasn't needed.
    neonds13

Answer by neonds13 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009