My son has a bad cough. .he is not even two yet. ..any good tips of how to help him with that?

I read that putting vapor rub on the feet & covering with socks help...has anyone tried it? Does it help? I feel so bad but am not sure what to do.

ColtsFan1912

Asked by ColtsFan1912 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Humidifier, and try to use distilled water. I've never heard of the vapor rub on the feet, but I put it on a wash cloth and lay that on my daughter's chest under her jammies. I'm afraid it might be too harsh to put right on her skin.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• they have vapor rub for babies, i use that one for my ds. it's called baby rub
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i was going to suggest a little vapor rub on the feet. also, do the humidifier cool mist and raise the head of his crib a little to help him. Don't give too much milk cut it with water if you have to.. don't give any medicine. he should be over it soon. my daughter and i just stopped having a cough took her about 4 days.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Vicks on the feet does help...oddly enough...and another thing that can help is sitting in the bathroom with him while the hot showering is on, the steam can help him. you can also boil some water on the stove and put a piece of foil over the top to direct the moisture into the room. Just keep an eye on it because you will have to add water to the pan pretty frequently. GL!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• *shower*...not showering...sorry....LOL
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Use a vaporizer,if, you don't have one,boil a pot of water with 2 tablespoon of salt,as far as the vapor rub,when,you use it ,please make sure your child is warm with pajamas on,be careful ,not to get in his face ,or near his eyes. If, he has a fever over 100, for more than 2 days, I would call the doctor,also,if, he brings up dark green or yellow-green sputum,call the doctor

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Honey is a natural cough suppressant, try warm liquids such as chicken soup or peppermint tea (sooths the throat if it is a little sore). If there is some congestion the warm liquids will help break it up. and as others have said, humidifier, raise the bed. Oh make sure he is warm but not too warm I always cough more if I'm too warm. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• 1 cap of Braggs organic apple cider vinegar + a teaspoon (or more as desired for taste) honey + 8 oz water. Have him sip this whenever he starts coughing. It will suppress the cough better than any medicine. It works pretty quickly too and will enable him to sleep at night without coughing.

Vapor rub on the feet helps, but doesn't take away the cough completely.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• vapor rub on the feet DOES help!!!!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My daughter had a cough for months, not on and off, but it got better and worse. My Mom in law suggested I stop giving her milk, because it causes mucus. So I started giving her soy milk, and her cough went away in a few weeks! Good luck!
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2010