In your area is $18-$22 an hour a good wage or barely enough to survive?

I am just curious. I have had people here on CM say that $18-$22 an hour isn't enough to begin to make ends meet. I live in NE Ohio and $22 an hour is not a bad wage. It's what my husband makes and with our mortgage, basic utilities (gas, electric & water), trash pickup, groceries, our car payment & car insurance & gas for the car we have approx. $900 a month left over. We live well on $22 an hour. I know people who would kill for that kind of pay. Where do you live that $18-$22 an hour is not even close to being enough to live off of? Or is that considered a fortune in your area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• OP- it appears to be a matter of housing costs rather than a standard of living... I can not imagine what you describe for what you pay here in the suburbs of Denver. I think its nice that there are areas where you can have a nice life in that income bracket. I have no idea what your husband does for a living, but maybe its all relative and it would pay more here. I do know this area seems to have a high income to housing ratio. The average income in my county is 95K, but with housing hovering around 400K (maybe thats a high estimate in light of the housing market) that still means dollar for dollar we are paying more for our housing. Bummer. At least the weather is nice here and the mountains are beautiful ;)
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I also live in NE Ohio and we'd be thrilled to make that much! My husband makes $13/hr and now that is hard to live on sometimes. If in some areas it's not enough to get by, why not move?
    o0laurie.love0o

Answer by o0laurie.love0o at 9:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• f*ck yeah thats good pay. before i became a sahm i was working as a pharmacy technician at cvs making 9/hr. certified pharmacy techs made 14/hr. im sure if i were to break my husband's (army) salary down it wouldn't even come out to 18-22/hr.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm in Upstate New York and that is a DAMN good wage for here. The average amount of pay is about $8 to start. I use to make $26 an hour but they cut my hours and my pay, so now I'm making $8.50 an hour working 24 hours a week. My husband and I are struggling to get by, and yet we still make too much to get food stamps or medical assistance. Figures.

piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's pretty good around here (SE Idaho). Hubby makes anywhere from $17-$19 an hour in construction and we live pretty decent on it. It gets tight with the extra bills we have right now, and me not working (just had a baby) but we can survive on it.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Thats GREAT pay in western PA. I just started at UPS and they start you off at 8.50 and in 90 days I'll make 9.50. Hell, 9.50 is good pay for non-college educated around here! My DH makes 10.75 and thats considered good!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's ok here. I'm in Louisville KY. I make $19 an hour now and DH makes $14.50 plus shift differential. We live fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm also in NE Ohio and my husband also makes $13 an hour. We would be thrilled to get $18-$22 an hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I live in Lawton Oklahoma. $18 to $22 an hour is pretty good here.

Answer by louise2 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If only to make that much. We'd feel rich... LOL. I haven't seen any job around here that I qualify for that would pay more than min. wage. And there aren't many here. I have applied but Have never been called back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009