Do you ever feel invisible?

I have always been painfully shy and quiet. I have had friends but not more than 2-4 at a time. And as I've gotten older and am not currently working, I have found it harder to make new and maintain existing friendships. I have a loving, supportive family, but still feel like I am missing something. Around groups of women, such as church functions, I am always left out of the conversations. I have even tried to join in but they look at me funny or totally ignore me. And then there are people I've known most of my life who seem to forget who I am or cannot ever remember my name. Does this happen to anybody else? I feel like I am invisible or some kind of leper. How do you make friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe they look at you oddly when you try to join in because that is not typical for you. Just continue going outside your "comfort zone" to be social with people that you think you could enjoy the company of. Find some common interests or join a group to meet people. Even a book club or a fitness group once a week, sometimes just making the effort to get out more and be around others is a great way to make a big difference. Go to some play groups with your children and try to talk to some of the mothers there. Being shy is nothing to be ashamed of, better IMO than being one of the loud, obnoxious, "here I am all eyes on me" moms that are all over the place. Ew. Good luck to you hon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have absolutely been there. As I get older it gets a little easier to come out of my shell and talk to people. My husband has three brothers and when I am around the three wives I am exactly like that. I make a comment and it either gets ignored, or it doesn't get the response I thought it might.

You need to have more confidence in yourself. Take up a hobby and find friends doing that. There's nothing wrong with you, you just need to have more faith in yourself.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Join the club. I go from no one to so many. I come from a very big loud family with lots of drama all the time. I don't have any friends. But family is around me all the time. But I know how you feel. I try to comeo out of my comfort zone, and it just not me. I talk to one or two people but to hang and have coffee or cocktails so been there done that and so burned over so many times, I say forget about having friends. I am friends with my son's friends parents and that is it.Too much jealousy esp. if you are skinny and dress cute you nevver get invited over the house, ever.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm there right now. I probably always will be. :]
    I used to be the really outgoing, talkative, social butterfly but over time.. it just became too exhausting for me.
    I probably have 2 friends that I can always count on - aside from my DH. But sometimes, I get lonely. We all have our lives to attend to, and since I'm not working, I don't have that "job" thing to take up my time. Sure, being pregnant and having a toddler running around takes up my time, but.. it's different. You're not interacting with a little kid.. :]
    I've lost my touch, definitely.
    I just try and be myself, and eventually some people come to me, talk with me, get curious and we have chats. That's the best I can do.
    Just put myself out there.

If you want to have a talk sometime, don't be afraid to talk to me~! :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have given up. I am invisible for some reason. I am not shy and am a very giving and kind person. My family really doesn't see me neither have other people in my life. I am not the person people want to make friends with or if they do they don't want to maintain the friendship. I have no clue why either. I have asked former friends they always say I am nice and fun to be around they don't know why they stopped calling. My own family has forgotten me. I have always been the one to call and visit. I stopped calling and stopped visiting. I have not been called by family in nearly three years. They have my number and have nothing to do with me. I did finally call my mom and she said OMG it has been a while I reminded her it was three years. She couldn't believe it. I let her know we were fine the ball was in the families court. It has been 2 months no calls. I have my children and husband I am blessed.Still hurts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009