Daughter has a rash that won't go away.

For the past two months my daughter has had a rash around her nose and mouth that won't go away. At times it gets somewhat better, but then comes back again. It does not seem to itch or bother her in any way, but I am still concerned. I asked her pediatrician about it last month at her 5 month checkup and she couldn't tell what was causing it, but advised me to just use regular skin lotion on it 2x a day. I've been doing that for a month with no success. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be or recommendations on how to treat it?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• does she have a snotty nose or drool a lot. When my son drooled a bunch and it was summer he got a yeast infection one time on his neck; don't know if that would be it tho. Also he got fungal rash before too, which may be the same but not sure, oh thinking about it they gave me the same ointment. Bactriban (it was the generic form started with "m" maybe municiprin) Anyways I would take her back to get it checked obviously the lotion isn't working and i would make doc provide some type of treatment or take her to a dermatalogist (sp)
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• is there also a rash on her butt? if there is one that is significant and you need to go back to the pediatrician and show them
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• if the rash is present around the creases of her mouth also, i would say it is a fungal infection. any otc antifungal will work. if the rash starts at the nose and spreads downward to the mouth but not at the creases, it is something completely different, more like a contact dermatitis.
    watch her for a day or so, if she is using her hands to wipe those areas frequently around her face it's probably the combination of something she is touching and her more sensitive facial skin is reacting too.
    if the rash spreads out to the cheeks, you need another dr appt.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It could be caused by excessive drooling/or runny nose. Coat it with vaseline, not lotion.

My son would suck on his bottom lip. Around his mouth & chin would constantly break out. We used vaseline on it until we broke him of the habit.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My child had a rash like that. It was a yeast infection on the leg. If it is, buy Lotrimin AF (Athletes Foot)
    Do you think it may be Exema?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009