Who has had an HSG?

The procedure that puts die into your fallopian tubes to detect blockage. Please tell me your experiences. I'm having one next cycle.

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 9:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I did, and it hurt a little while they were injecting the dye, and I had a little bleeding from the cervix afterward. I was able to watch the procedure while it was occurring, and it wasn't quite what I expected. For instance, I had no idea that your fallopian tubes float around inside-- I thought they were essentially set in place. Just remember to try and relax, and take some ibuprofen beforehand-- about an hour before--to help with the pain.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Thanks.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 1:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was told I might experience a little discomfort, but it seemed worse than that to me. I had very severe cramping during the test (I think it was when they went through the cervix, but it could have been when the dye was released); luckily it didn't last very long. I had mild cramping afterwards and a little spotting. As Busimommi suggested take something beforehand (I wish someone had told me that!). My friend's doctor actually prescribed something stronger than over-the-counter pain meds for her to take before she had an HSG. I understand the pain can be worse and last longer if they do find a blockage and try to clear it out by injecting more dye. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009