How do you know if you are not making any more milk?

She is 16 months old, and lately she is so grumpy. She also unlatches, pull away from my breast and "inspects" it every little why. Also, after nursing for a while, she still cries and then chugs milk from a sippy as if she isb really thirsty. I don't know, are these signs? She hasn't really lost interest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you try expressing some milk and seeing?
    She might just be about to go through a big growth spurt.
    I know my kid always did that RIGHT before he shot up. He was like an eating machine.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• well if you are giving her milk from a sippy there are 2 problems the first is that BM is based on supply and demand.. so if you supple a sippy then you will make less because you dont have that demand the second problem is that bf is work it is it is a work out and sippy cup just flows.... humane nature is to take the path of least resistance so I'd axe any and all but water liquid sources from her if you want to continue nursing and the inspection thing is normal she's just learning her surroundings
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My daughter was 15 months when she did a lot of the same kinds of behaviors. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and my milk had actually stopped. When it came back a few months later she was no longer interested in nursing. Has anything else changed? Your diet? Have you started exercising (it can change the taste)? Try talking to a lactation consultant to see if they can help you out.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• That happened with my son at 16 months too. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and I'm certain it had to do with decreased milk production. I ended up weaning him as he seemed very ready. If you're not ready to wean i would try pumping once and see how much you get. That will at least give you an indication of how much your baby is getting.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009