Tonsillectomy experiences

My 13 y/o DD is having her tonsils and adnoids taken out tomorrow, Anyone wanna share how their kids did? I know the younger ones seem to do a little better, so Im curious how she may do and feel since she is a bit older, what foods she may want to eat, and such, so, help me out. Thanks!

SuperMomof3kids

Asked by SuperMomof3kids at 10:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• I had mine out at 21 (Horrible) but I tell you so you might remember these things: Stay ahead of the pain, keep her drugged and swallowing to move the area so it doesn't tighten up. When the scab recedes (and it does) it may bleed. If this happens, it seems like a lot of blood so have her hold ICE cold water in her mouth to stop the bleeding. Unlikely but just FYI.

I ate cold stuff, ice cream, jello, all that stuff.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I had mine taken out when I was 7, I missed a lot of school it seemed... and ate lots of ice cream and popsicles. I was unable to eat regular food for a while and other than that I was great. hurt to swallow and such but I got all the popsicles I wanted even in the middle of the night. That was what I pretty much survived off of, popsicles and ice cream.

07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I had my tonsils taken out when I was 20 and the first thing people joked was that I could eat all the ice cream I wanted, haha..Not so. The ice cream , dairy products in general,will form a film in the back of the throat and stick to the sores. It's best to avoid dairy products in general for the first few days. Definitely keep her hydrated and her pain under control. Popsicles, jello, broth, juices (nothing too acidic because of the sores left behind), maybe some sorbet (again not too sour or acidic) could work for starters.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009