Is swelling a typical symptoms of pinkeye? How soon after treatment can I expect relief?

Is swelling a typical symptoms of pinkeye?

I have had 24hrs worth of doses of the prescription and still no real relief. My eye is so swollen and looks like someone beat me up. It is constantly watering and very red. Also, how long am I contagious???

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 10:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• wash it with J&J baby shampoo then rinse it really really well let it air dry... do this prior to each drop schedule (should be every 6 hours) also ice packs and motrin (if youre not pregnant) can help with the swelling
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We always rub a gold ring on the infected area

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes it is common to have swelling. I would really avoid contact with others untill your meds are all gone. My husband the silly man had pink eye so bad once that his eye bled.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 11:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It is common to have swelling and I would NOT put anything in or near my eye except for the drops the doctor gave you. You are no longer contagious after 24 hours on the meds. You can use a hot washcloth and massage your eyes. It will help get the infection out. Do NOT touch your eyes and if you do wash your hands right away. IF the infection and swelling don't go away within a week, go back to the doctor for a different medicaiton.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Breastmilk or warm compresses.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2009