What do you do when your kid gets a "card pulled" in class?

What kind of punishment do you give them? What works for you?

Please include your child's grade in your advice! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What do you mean? How does the "card" system work in your childs class??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, My son is in 7th grade now, but he has had his green ticket pulled many times throughout the years. We tended to leave it at school mostly, due to the fact teacher took away free time and recess, computer time etc. At home he just didn't get anything extra like tv, games, sweets,or extra play time. He usually did better the next day. But we did discuss it, not lecture, discuss!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Oh sorry! I thought they did this system everywhere! They use a card system in Elem school. Yellow card = Warning, Blue card = no recess, Red card = principle's office with a call home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• lol ours is green, pink, brown, red!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My son in three years has never been in trouble. If he did act up at school he would have consequences at home. He knows this and that is probably why he behaves. We are very consistent with him so there is no maybe if he is going to be rude or misbehave he will lose privileges.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my first graders class has a traffic light green starts the day yellow is caution when they do minor stuff wrong they can also earn the green light back at this point. red light means they have been naughty a lot or did 1 really bad thing and once you hit red light you go to the principals office and the parents get either a phone call or letter. I let the school handle it as long as it is just the yellow light, we talk about what he did wrong what would have been the better choice then move on. If he gets a red light he will also receive a punishment at home and must write a note of apology to his teach or the principal or both

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My kindergartener hasn't been taken off green yet...but he came close the other day. He was mouthy with the teacher and refusing to participate, but once they told him he was going to get a card change, he straightened up. HE told me about this, I called the teacher to get details.

We talked it out, he told me his version which did match the teacher's version. In this case, I asked him if he apologized to the teacher after she warned him...he said no. I told him he had to apologize to her the next day, and be specific about why he was apoligizing. He did it. (I did check with the teacher)

We've been thinking of what we would do, and we're not real sure yet. I think it's going to depend on the infraction to be honest. I will say this....we have decided that if he ever gets detention in school, he's going to have "detention" at home, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• So, I have been in class to spend the day. And there are some kids who REALLY deserve "getting a card pulled". However, Ive noticed that it was because of the SAME reason, OVER AND OVER. Such as not listening to the teacher when she tells everyone its quit time and to look at books. Or, Coloring on their papers when they should be paying attention......
    Anyways, my point is: u should figure out WHY they got the card pulled. Then, talk to them about it. Talk to the teacher and see what ways she thinks it would be best for you to "punish" them. That way your hitting the nail on the head and not "punishing" them for something that has nothing to do with the situation.
    If after talking to them about it does not work: then resort to something like taking away things such as playstations, or fav. toys or "friend time at the park" : things like that. So they have to learn that they can't get away with acting that way.
    Good luck!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 1:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2009