Weird Question: How do you teach your little girl to wash her "privates"??

I have a baby girl and another on the way and I am going to show her by letting her see me do it. THats a personal choice. But I also have two nieces whose mommy really isnt into being too clean. To put it bluntly... their underwear is DISGUISTING (skid marks, stains in the front, everything you can think of). Their feet smell, they never smell clean (always a little funk on them)... and the only reason I'm asking you ladies this is that they are always over and my sil asks me to watch them (that includes dinner, shower, hw, etc). So there is no getting away from it! The funk is always there! And I cant go another day seeing skid marks and nasty underwear! They dont shower/bath everyday or even every other day so it complicates it even more! In my opinion little girls should be taught to clean very well and wash themselves well because of infections they can get! Can anyone help me out please/ No bashing,I just want opinions=)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, that is a tough one. You said this is your SIL, right? Are you close with her at all? Could your DH possibly address some of the apparent hygiene issues with her? Do you think that the girls' grandmother notices these things when she is around the kids? Is the mother that bad too? I would try to have them shower anytime they came over, get them some special soaps and washcloths and try to make it fun for them to bathe. Maybe even a loofah and some body wash and show them over the sink how to use it. You may have to just talk to the SIL about it and tell her why you are concerned and that you feel awkward stepping in too much to help the girls clean themselves up on a daily basis, but it is necessary and you would like to help her be successful in doing so. She may feel a bit embarrassed and offended, but in the long run she AND the girls will thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Put them in the bathtub and let them play with toys. The funk will come off of their bodies then. Just make sure their clothes are clean, and give them wet toilet wipes to clean their behinds. They really shouldn't use wet wipes on their vaginas, because the chemicals irritate. Sometimes little kids just need a bit of coaxing to get them to be concerned about their hygeine. Don't judge the mom too harshly. You don't know what's going on with her and her personal life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I personally show her while she has a wash rag, I take one, and with my clothes on tell her to wash her privates while pretending on myself.
    Anonymous

• omg...well first i would like to say, you are a wonderful aunt for going the extra mile. and one day, these girls will thank you for caring so much. i think you should talk to the girls about good personal hygiene...get a book from the library about it and read it to all the girls, your nieces and your daughter the next time they are over. and we you see the dirty underwear, by all means, talk to them about it. ask them if they are wiping their butts until the TP is clean. and it doesnt have to sound insulting, just sound concerned. i agree with you, little girls should be clean. i think all kids should be. and i dont think its snotty to want kids with clean faces, hands, and clothes. i dont let my son leave looking any different than myself. and as far as washing goes...we always told my nieces that nobody wants a stinky cooter, so you gotta wash it. if they said it hurt, we said it would hurt more if they didnt wash...
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 1:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• it because it could get infections. and i tell my son the same thing...to wash his doodle, bc nobody likes boys with dirty doodles. he takes showers with his dad or me, depending on who is on shower duty...and at 2 years old, he washes his own butt and doodle very well. good luck.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 1:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It sounds like you have them over all the time. I have the same issues. I try to always tell my nieces that girls have to make sure they are clean. I wash their bodies in the tub and they wash their privates. If they smell when they are done they get back in and wash again. I try not to be mean I just let them know they still have something on them and they need to try again. I don't think its their fault. I think its hard for them to manuver their arms around and what not. anyways, don't feel bad about it cause then they (the kids) will too. Just always try to do their hair and wipe their face and talk to them about hygeine like you would your own child... hope this helps have a great night.! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I taught my daughter after she was older. What I didn't realize is that girls as they get older start having a discharge. And they don't wipe well because it is difficult. So baths with NO bubbles are good. But if they don't clean the white gunk out of the labial area it will promote bacterial growth.
    I think an approach of "teaching" (discussing with) your own daughter, while at the same time having the other girls listening in on the conversation, then turn to them and ask them...do you girls have any questions about how to keep yourself clean? It is really important as you get older.
    Also...
    "The Care and Keeping of Me" An American Girl book. Get it. Love it. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• tell them washing their privates is just like wiping after going to the bathroom except you use soap and water and a wash cloth. I would also tell them that they need to was 3 times down there with every bath or shower.....just to be sure they get clean

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Show her on one of her baby dolls.
    rousefam5

Answer by rousefam5 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have a friend who taught her daughter to "wash in the front as far as possible, and then wash in the back as far as possible, and then to wash 'possible'".
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009