Is Coraline appropriate for a 5 y/o?

I haven't seen this but wondered if it's ok for my 5 y/o? I know it's PG-13 so that kind of clues me in that it might not but curious if anyone else has let their younger kids watch it?

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 11:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• i didnt think it was scary but there was this scene with pasties that i thought was in bad taste
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My five year old watched it...it was a little awkward at the end, but I don't think it's innapropriate. Not in my opinion but everyone is different, you may want to watch first, but my little girl didn't move from the couch when this was on, not that she was scared, she was very interested in the movie, and understood what was going on. She didn't say anything about it being scary or anything like that. Being awkward at the end was when Coraline had to save parents and the fake mom turned into a spider...which if you watch all the movie you'll understand, but that was a little weird, can't really say that it was scary, but I did enjoy the movie myself and so did she. Hope that helps.

mandaabner34

Answer by mandaabner34 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I won't let my 4 year old see it. I just didn't think it right for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Its a Tim Burton film. So its pretty much dark and gets creepy. My 11 year old loves it but nightmare before christmas was her favorite movie when she was 2. I would watch it first yourself to see what you think. I personally thought it was too scary, especially for a 5 year old , they could get night mares
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think it's appropriate. It's not scary, just creative.

But everyone has different ideas of what's appropriate for what age level...so why not watch it alone first and then be the judge?
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I let my daughter watch it at 5. But then again, I also don't allow her to watch High School Musical or Hannah Montana.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I actually haven't seen it but all 4 of my kids watched it with my dad. My 3yo has seen it several times and loves it. They didn't think it was really scary. My 3yo actually asked to watch Monster House yesterday and I've been told that is too scary for small children (I thought the movie was hilarious) and my kids loved it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My kids said it was scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My 5 yr. old will not be watching this. It was just a little to grown up for her.
    kirstensmommie

Answer by kirstensmommie at 8:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's very "twisted" and creative. Not suitable for a 5 yr old. Unless the phrase "sewing button eyes on a little girl" sounds like something you wouldn't mind your child thinking about.
    jacobsmommy0828

Answer by jacobsmommy0828 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009