What do you generally think the reason is behind a married couple wanting to renew their wedding vows?

I'm just curious, because I think a lot of people assume it's because your marriage has been bad and you want to start it all over like as a 2nd wedding type thing. My DH and I talked about doing it later on but not for that reason. I just don't want people thinking we are doing it for that reason. Honestly, tell me if that's what you generally assume.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would do it as a we've had a great x amount of years and we are looking forward to another great years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i would do it as 'this time i get a real wedding and the only guests arent my mom and dad in the basement of some 'wedding chaple' in Reno'

but thats just me :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I think its beautiful when a couple renews there vows with thier children in the party. Definatly make sure your done having children though...lol My parents renewed there vows with me and my brother and whoops here comes my little sister hehehe
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I've never thought that. Not even once.
    I always assume it's because they didn't get the wedding they wanted the first time or they have been together a really, really long time.
    My and my husband wanted to renew our vows on our 10th anniversary. But that isn't going to happen. We celebrate our 10th anniversary in January and are dead broke. About as broke as we were the first time when we got married in his parents' living room with only his family and my parents there, no fancy clothes, dress, music, reception, etc.
    I doubt I ever get that wedding.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would love for my hubby and I to renew our vows one day... just us and our kids standing on a beach somewhere. It has nothing to do with having problems in our marriage (we've had ups and downs but are very happily married) and it has nothing to do with wanting a big wedding again (I would only want to include ourselves and our children- no parents, no friends, no extended family- just the five of us.) I would love to do it for a variety of reasons: because we were young when we married and have changed so much that it would feel good say that we would STILL choose to be together over a decade later being the foremost reason. Maybe for our fifteenth anniversary in four years!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my DH and I always talked about renewing our vows, so we could have a real ceremony. the first one was in the back of a florist shop in NV. I was wearing my friends moms wedding dress, my husband refused to shave his stupid goatee, someone thought it would be a good idea to give all the cameras to my 15yo brother and three of his friends. I had a sheet cake from Raley's supermarket. So it was NOT the wedding I had envisioned. so thats the only reason we want to renew our vows. We were thinking our 5 yr anniversary, but he will be in Afghanistan for our 5yrs, so maybe 10yrs
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I want to do it for my 5 year anniversary because i never got a wedding. I was married in a courthouse and it was just a sign here kinda thing. So i want to be able to have a real wedding. But i never though of people doing it because they have had a bad marriage and want to give it a new start. I always thought of it as we have had so many good years and it is more of a celebration of that.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I've always thought of it as a celebration.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We will do it on our 10th anniversary. Mainly for our little celebration and so we can include our kids in the ceremony.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think a vow renewal is a wonderful celebration of your marriage. I know a couple that just renewed their vows on their 50th anniversary!! We're thinking of doing ours next year, on our 15th. If you want to do it, go for it and don't worry about what other people might think.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2009