why do you think CIO is ok?

So i dont really think its ok but thats my opion im woundering why those of you who use it think its ok? Its your kid and im not saying your wrong im just woundering why some choose to use it and think its ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After 1 year I think it's okay to let them do it for 5-10 minutes because they are at that age where they are aware that they are suppose to be asleep, and they are smart enough to know how to con mommy in to getting them by crying, so sometimes you have to let them know you are not buying their little tearless cries, and they usually fall asleep within a few minutes. That's the only way I've ever did it, and I've made sure my little one was actually tired and trying to fight sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It worked for my kids. They cried for a short period of time for a few days and then learned to self-soothe and fall back asleep. All kids are different, so if yours cries for a long period of time, then I can see how you would think CIO is not a good idea. We are all different, all have different tolerances. I do not think 10 minutes of crying a night for 3 or 4 nights will ruin a child. That was my experience and my tolerance level. Maybe yours is lower? Either way, its all good!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• because 'mama needs a cocktail' lol
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I should have said "Fall asleep".... if they cried out in the middle of the night, I checked on them to make sure they were safe before I let them CIO. They hardly ever did this except when they were sick in which case I of course attended to them!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i agree with pookipoo...lol...some times they just need to cry it wont hurt them
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• crying is one thing...crying themselves to sleep is not right...if you KNEW what CIO meant, it doens't mean they actually cry themselves to sleep. it's a process...one that I will NEVER use, but nevertheless a process...I think the whole idea of letting your baby cry/scream themself to sleep is just selfish and abusive.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I dont believe in it, but a lot of my family and friends do. Some of their explanations are the same as mine for being against. While I feel CIO will effect their personality and mental state and the way they learn to handle things subconsciously for the rest of their lives they believe that the same is true if they dont learn to self sooth at some point. I am not saying anyone is wrong, but what I think it boils down to is the parents experiences in their life and they way they were parented and what they would have changed in their own life.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Callies Mom, please explain what "if you KNEW what CIO means".. I am interested.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Because it worked for my kid.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We used it and it worked. We tried everything else to help my son be a good sleeper and at 10 months when he was still getting up 2-3 times/night and crabby in the morning because he was awake all night we tried this. And it works! He is a better sleeper and a happier baby... and we are better parents because we aren't zombies during the day.
    We used the Ferber method and it worked really well. My son never has cried for long periods of time... he put himself to sleep within minutes of being put to bed... and now doesn't cry at all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2009