ughh...what is wrong with co-workers???

i started a new job about a month ago, as a server in a restaurant. so here is the deal, im a great server, im tentative and thorough, not just with my tables but also with my cleaning responsibilities. i have been a "closer" since my first night on the floor. i like closing, most of the time it means i make a little more money, because i stay the latest. it also means i have to check my co-workers out to make sure they do their work. i am very non-confrontational. i have let the others know what my expectations are as far as the work goes- make sure you fill the stuff on your tables- salt, pepper, etc...and do your designated side work, EX: cover the desserts and take throw out old coffee filters- nothing too time consuming or complex, but people are always trying to skip out on me. they leave without rolling silverware, or wiping things down. if they are supposed to clean the soda machine, they will not take out...

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• the lemon seeds that might happen to fall in the tray. or bring out extra spoons to a station. well anyway, it really irks me. i get stuck doing all of it at the end...or when i tell the girl(s) what needs to be done, they say i am a bitch and whisper behind my back. wtf? im just doing what management expects of me...and not just management but myself, because i take pride in the things i do, both at work and at home. so one of my biggest problem co-workers keeps asking me for rides to work...i just dont get it. should i give her a ride tomorrow and tell her in the car that it will be her last ride until she steps up at work and she can whisper about that if she wants. ughh, im just so frustrated because i really love my new job, but very irritated by some of the people.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• To be honest being there only a month and you are telling those who have been there longer what to do can rub folks the wrong way. Not to say you are wrong for pointing it out, I'm just saying it could rub them the wrong way. I've been in that predicament where a new hire started telling me how to do my job and I politely told her I appreciate the help but I think I can handle it.  I wasn't rude or at least I didn't mean to be but it irritated me.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• at this point...we are all adults. i feel like an ass for even having to check other peoples work...it should be done bc we are adults. outside of work, we have to manage bills, babies, household duties...i shouldnt have to be telling any of these girls a thing, which is what drives me crazy. its part of their job description...not my rules.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with you but you need to bring it up to the managers and let them deal with it. It sucks I know, but you will be ridiculed because you intimidate them. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well then i guess them and i are both on the same page, lol. i said i was non-confrontational. i basically apologize to these girls bc i have to tell them their stuff isnt done. just a sucky situation. in a restaurant atmosphere, ive worked in many, management doesnt wanna deal with it, which is why they have "closers". they want us to tell these girls...and i dont wanna make enemies...couldnt care less about making friends either, but i like peace.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know how you feel believe me. You sound like a very strong individual and would be great management material. I managed for a time where I work now but I chose not to because I don't want to chose work over my children (which sometimes ends being the case) but maybe in the future when they are older.  You do what you think is best as far as getting things done. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If they had been there longer than you, they should already know how to do their jobs. They should feel bad for you having to tell them. But let management deal with it from now on, and tell management that they should know better since you've just started working there. Also, I never make friends with co-workers because of situations like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Go to school, get a job with a better future, retirement ect. wng is a great job (former waitress here) but the people you have to work with are usually partiers with no ambition, who love to b**** and do nothing but the bare minimum. My sister is almost 40 years old, still waitressing, has worked at almost every restaraunt in town and has had problems at every single one, and nothing to show for all of her years and years of hard work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• as soon as i qualify for loans again, ill be going back to school, but have to work for next year to do so...so im stuck in my current situation. it provides the fam with reasonable hours and compensation til i can do better...this is all i can do til then. i applied for so many other jobs, with on luck.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Think of it this way.....they are asking you to babysit for free. Tell the girls to do their jobs. Who cares how long you have worked there. You like your job, and it sounds like you will be there for a while. As a former manager, I LIKE people like you. I LIKE it when people take pride in their work. It makes MY life easier. I would discuss this with the manager on duty. If there is no manager on duty then maybe there should be. Talk it over with the girls first. Tell them you don't want to tell them thier job, but you won't do their job for them either. They just need to suck it up and do it right. UGH. That just makes me mad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2009