Good night~~it is time to put the kids to bed. Christians would you mind telling me if you pray with your kids before bed?

if so is there a special prayer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I pray with my son(3) every night but it not the same every night. I usually say thank you God for the butterflies, and the bugs, and the rivers and so on. That we lover Him and thank Him for everything. And then ds will add something if he wants which is really cute.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We always kneel down and pray. Right now my DD is only 20months old so basically she repeats "heavenly father please bless me and mama and dada to sleep good amen"
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would like to but I need a good prayer. The old standbye of "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my sould to keep, if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take" would not work for us. My 5 year old still thinks that death is something you come back from, like a holiday. I need a prayer that won't scare her.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yes, they love it
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Well, at dinner, I used to say " God is great, God is good. Let me thank him for this food. And Mommy And Daddy Amen."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When my kids were little, I prayed with them before bed. Now that they're teens, I don't - they pray on their own. But I do pray with them and say a blessing over them before they go to school or away on a long trip.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm not a Christian, but my son is. He says 2 prayers to his God, one prayer to the Goddess, and one prayer to his Guardian Angel. I like him to know that he has a full circle of protection at night ~ he's afraid of the dark, and he loves this.
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 10:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, I still pray with my youngest (9 years old). She says the "Now I lay me down to sleep . . ." prayer. Then she thanks God for something good about her day. Then she prays "God bless . . ." and names the grandparents, aunts, uncles, godparents, close family friends, etc.! It takes a while, but it is lovely that she keeps all the family & friends in her prayers every night. :-)
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 11:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We don't. My oldest is 14 so she uses that time as her own private quiet prayer time. There have been times when she has asked me to come and pray with her, or she has questions and we talk about them. My twins have special needs so we do most of our spiritual activities around the dinner table so that big sister can also help in the process. They really have very little understanding of the spiritual world, so prayer doesn't mean a lot to them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We started with the Lord's Prayer when they were younger. Now that they know that prayer, we pray every night with our own words. Sometimes one of us, me or dh will lead, sometimes one of the girls will ask to lead. Sometimes one of us leads and we all add something to the prayer one at a time. We don't really plan it. It is usually like this: Thank you, God for our many blessings. Guide us by day watch over us by night. (We address any specific prayer needs of our family and friends). Help us to love and care for others as You love and cares for us. Amen.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009