How did you handle the first time your child got sick?

My only child will be 10 months old in 2 days, and she has never had so much as a cold in her life. However, the past couple of nights, she has woken up at about 10, and refused to go back to sleep (very odd for her). I took her temp under her arm today, and it slowly climbed to 100.4 before I had to remove it because she was squirming too much. She woke up again tonight, and this time the thermometer finished....at 101.3. I called my mother and she said you are supposed to add a degree to under arm temps. As she has never been sick, and we are "naturalists" in so many ways, I had no baby Tylenol or Motrin. I woke up her dad, drove to Wal-Mart, and grabbed some medicine. She has been constipated, and she is cutting several teeth, so I hope this is nothing serious as she has not been crying a lot or anything. Will probably have to take her to the dr in the morning. This is scary.

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd caughter her first cold when she was 10 months old. I was a nervous wreck!! I turned her nursery into a make-shift hospital room. I had the humidifier going, I took her temperature regularly, made sure she was hydrated, and cleaned her little nose with a aspirator and put Vaseline around her nostrils to keep them from getting irritated from the mucous. She recoved in about 2 weeks time.

I know your daughter will be just fine. I will keep her in my prayers tonight.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is so hard when baby gets sick, especially the first time. We tend to not give meds unless the temp hits 102.5 or the child asks for them; but my kids are older and can speak for themselves. She probably just has a little cold, but because there is sooo much going around, keep an eye on her. Call the doc and see what their fever policy is - ours is that they want to see the kid w/a fever if they have run it for 3 days or more. This season they saw us right away because the 4 yr old had 102 for 2 days and the 11 had what appeared to be the cold from he** (and the 10 yr old was coughing up storm.) They cultured the boys and they had colds not the flu.

Hope she feels better soon!!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• How do I get her to drink water? She doesnt like it.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 12:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If she's nursing, she doesn't need any other fluids. If she's on formula, she should have a bit of water . . . try adding a touch of honey for sweetness. That always works for my toddler. :-)
    First time, first time. . . . no baby drugs in the house since we try the natural stuff first. I kept him in bed with me, sandwiched between layers of cool, damp towels. By morning his temp was normal and stayed normal.
    Most of the time, you don't *need* to take a feverish infant to the doctor unless temperature is very high and stays high. Since it's common for infants and young children to spike afternoon/night time fevers but wake up normal, it probably won't be necessary to take her in tomorrow.

But on the safe side, I'd call in the morning and talk with one of the nurses. The office you go to might want to see her or they might just tell you how to handle it at home and what to look for if she *should* be brought in.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My dd was 10 mos old when she got hand foot mouth (other than that she's never been sick) and it was right after DH deployed... I felt like the worst mom in the ENTIRE world!!! I could understand if she came down with a cold, but a DISEASE and esp THAT DISEASE!!?!?! Her gums has so many sores I thought she had broken every tooth in her mouth!!!! I turned into a nervous wreck and tried to kill myself... dd would have been better of without me IMO at that time. Now she has athletes foot and it's taking everything I have to keep going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I CAN'T GIVE A 10 MONTH OLD HONEY!!

(but thank you for the advice just the same)
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• a warm bath always worked to help my DD feel better when she had a fever. Since shes 10mos let her suck on an icee or popsicle. The bath will help bring her temp down, dont worry about making the bath colder than norm the normal bath temp will work just fine. Plus that will soothe her since we are accusto to giving babies bath before bedtime. Definatley make sure to keep up on the tylenol or motrin whichever you have. Give it to her a 20mins to half hour before its due so by the tie it starts to wear off the next dose will just be starting to work. I was worried sick first time my DD got sick. I gave her a bath every couple hours, tried to do everything to get her fever down. Hope she feels better soon! :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 4:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OP UPDATE....

It turns out she has an ear and throat infection. The doctor perscribed an antibiotic, and she is eating better now. :)
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009