what's worse for you- sugar or sugar substitutes?

I'm diabetic and eat things with a lot of sugar substitutes. which is worse for me? the real thing or the substitutes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• it depends on what kind of sugar subsitute you are talking about. Things like equal and aspatem, stay away from them. They are not good for you and mess with you blood sugar, causing you to crave more sweets. Honey,agave nectar,organic natural maple syrup,mexican cane sugar,and stevia would be better.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Real sugar. Artificial sugars are nothing but chemicals.

Sugars in fruit is the best for you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Real sugar doesn't come with a warning "Has caused cancer in labratory animals". I stick with the real thing.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Stick with real sugar. I just went to my doctor, and I was having fluctuating liver enzymes. He asked me if I use alot of artificial sweeteners, and I said no I stay away from them. He said good, NEVER use them. He said a little bit of real sugar is fine, artificial sweeteners of any kind are not okay. You can however use agave nectar and honey, and any kind of natural fruit sugars.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Fake sugar is horrible for you! Like aprilDJC said i use agave nectar, honey and raw cane sugar.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• real sugar is always better, because it's real. sugar substitutes break down into alcohols eventually and mess not only with your metabolism, but your mind, your mind believes it had sugar and still raises your insulin levels when you've ingested products that are sweet with no calories. if you are a diabetic, my suggestion would be to get off the sweet fix permanently in all forms ASAP instead of trying to find ways for you to still have sweet things. you're a diabetic, not dieting.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm diabetic too. I use real sugar and honey but I'm careful about how much I get. Fruit has sugar too so I have to be careful of how much fruit I eat. I drink primarily water and then teas.

Using ANY of the artificial sweeteners (stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener) is unnatural and can create problems within your body. Even sugar alcohols that are used as sweeteners can cause digestive upset.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• For a diabetic, you are best off with stevia and a little bit of agave syrup

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thanks for asking this.....I wondered myself.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. They are really low on the glycemic index.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009