Nurseries or baby rooms

Why were baby rooms called nurseries, and why did children stay in them for so long, was it mainly and England thing. In the movie peter pan, wendy looks to be about 10 or so and still in the nursery with her 2 brothers. Why were they all still in a nursery, only one was a baby. And many other books and stories had children in a nursery until a later age. And weren't they afraid that having a baby with other children, would wake the other children, or did the babies no really go in until they were bigger. Did the babies start in mom and dads room and move to the nursery. I guess i'm just a little confused, and curious for some answers. My mom has no clue, and i have no grandparents to ask, so maybe someone else might have an answer or a relative with an answer for me.

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 12:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The word Nursery meant something slightly different then, or, I guess I should say that society was run a little differently then. Because kids were kept more sheltered from society (in the sense that kids didn't eat with their parents at the dinner table, they didn't go out and about to major parties, etc), until they were in their teens and were officially "out" in society.

They weren't adults, so they were still in the nursery, or in the schoolroom. The nursery wasn't just the room where the baby stayed - it was the section of the house that the kids were in primarily - the room for the baby, the school room / play area, and the room(s) where, depending on the status and wealth of the family and the age of the kids, the nurse or governess or both stayed.

Sort of like an "inlaw suite" for kids :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I call ours a nursery and I have a 5 month old boy, 3 year old boy and 5 year old girl in there. They really don't want to sleep in a room all by themselves. My daughter keeps an eye on the boys too. She'll come and tell me if one is coughing or if their blanket fell off the bed. They don't keep each other awake but I usually wait until my 3 year old is asleep before I bring the baby in. He likes to talk to his sister as he's falling asleep and I wouldn't want him to wake the baby.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I guess we are a bit like Peter Pan. There's even a dog beneath their bedroom window and she is the best nanny I could ask for.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 1:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh, this also went along with when a girl started "wearing her hair up" - meaning when she was no longer considered a child, but was a young lady. Since Wendy was about 10-ish, she was at that "tween" stage, where she hadn't quite left the nursery yet, but she was close to it.

Now, of course, over time this evolved into what we have now, where a nursery is the baby's room. But it wasn't an abrupt change, it just sort of evolved.

Hope this helps :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009