My 5yo sucks his bottom and top lips

My son has started sucking on his lips and licking them excessively. His bottom lip has become chapped from it and has a red sore under it and his top lip is getting to be the same. Has anyone had experience with this? If so, what can I do to curb him from this habit?

team_stewart

Asked by team_stewart at 1:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter did this at that age too. I think its a nervous habit. I just put some Aquafor on it and reminded her constantly to stop doing it. She used to suck her thumb to but broke that at age 3. He will stop doing it soon enough.
    rousefam5

Answer by rousefam5 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• honestly I think the pain alone will sooner or later get him to stop. But is this something he is doing 24/7? or is he doing it when he watches tv.. laying down for the night.. right after school? Is it something new? I would worry more on why then how to stop it at least right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• He just started it about 3 weeks ago, and he does it pretty much 24/7. He's constantly licking his top lip and sucking his bottom one in his mouth.
    team_stewart

Answer by team_stewart at 1:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Mine does that too, but he always has. About all I have been able to do is keep chapstick on it. He doesn't even seem to notice it no matter how ugly or bleeding it gets.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009