What can I give as a snack to a child who is allergic to all food coloring?

My son has just started cub scouts and parents take turns bringing snacks. My turn is next week. There is a little boy who is allergic to all food coloring. What kind of snacks can I bring that IS NOT rice crispy treats and milk. They have had this alot and they are getting tired of it. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ajsmom2000

Asked by ajsmom2000 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• cookies! Home-made cookies! Just check the individual ingredients... home-made banana bread. Pretty much any home-baked good since you can have control over the ingredients. (poor kid, that has to be a bland diet!)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Can you make brownies? I woud check and see. You need to talk to the mom of this kid. It isn't uncommon for kids who allergic to skip treats and snacks due to the allergy issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• How about fruit? Fruit is always a hit. Or baby carrots. Crackers. Cheese.

My son is allergic to dairy, eggs, and nuts so I get questions like this a lot!
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 1:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As a mom to an food allergic kid myself, your best bet would be to contact the parent and ask THEM for a suggestion. Do not assume that you know what things contain his allergen. For example, my son is anaphylactic to eggs but I need to be very careful with things like apple pie because some people/manufacturers do an egg wash on top and will still answer no when I ask if there's egg in it. They just don't think on that level.

Best bet is ALWAYS to contact the parent for suggestions to avoid going out of your way to accomodate him only to find out he still can't have the snack. Although I agree with Claire that fruit is always a great option too.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Hummus with carrots
    Clementines or other whole fruits
    Cut fruit with yogurt “dip”
    Whole wheat noodles and steamed veggies with peanut sauce
    I have a great recipe for goldfish crackers; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• fresh fruit and veggies? That was my first thought.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Just buy a bag of apples and cut them up in slices and put in baggies to hand out.

Or you can just buy 1 apple for that particular child and the rest regular snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009