I felt like I was being punished for being on Medi-Cal...agree/disagree?

This past weekend was really horrible for my daughter. She's 6 mos. and came down with an awful flu-like virus, where she was vomitting and had diarrhea non-stop. She couldn't hold down ANYTHING. so i took her to the local ER and after waiting for 1-2 hrs, we were told my medi-cal wasnt covered there. The nearest hospital that covered medi-cal was 45 mins away. I had never heard of it. So we went there. It was awful. She was immediately admitted overnight, and in our room was another family, a blasting t.v, an air conditioning leaking water everywhere, the babies cribs looked like monkey cages, no chairs/beds for family, the nurses were rude and not even in scrubs, oh and it took 30 mins for them to put an IV in my babys arm. I'm a student, with a babys father who gives zero child support. Is it ok for low-income families to be treated like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Health

• no way i would report that hospital where was this at?
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It sounds like your baby got the care she needed. While it might not have been a comfortable place or friendly, as long as it was clean I don't think you should complain. I am not trying to be rude, but I am generally grateful for anything that I am given (is free) even if it might not be the nicest that I would get if I could pay for it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As far as the first hospital goes - our insurance only covers certain hospitals. We call and make sure we are covered before we head somewhere. Just remember to check it out before you go in the future!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i think you should be grateful you had insurance at all and somewhere to go for care, and a form of transportation to get you there.
    get over it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009