Can breastfeeding be trusted as birth control?

Are the odds the same if my SO ejaculates in me that I will get pregnant, regardless if I'm breastfeeding? Can breastfeeding give me any, even a little, peace of mind that I didn't get pregnant!?!

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Um No, You're much more likely to get pregnant in the First year of your kids life reglardless if you breastfeed or not.. I wouldn't chance it if you're not wanting to get pregnant again.

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• omg it would take me a good few month b4 i was sexual active again after birth lol but god no's were that idea came from the only thing to stop u falling prego is birth control , am with mj bn fe on this one u will be more fertile after birth so use something on the end of him lol if yr not planning on another baby lol good luck xx

Answer by happymam2b at 5:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Nursing can suppress ovulation, BUT - it doesn't always suppress it, and it doesn't mean that it's suppressed every month...

Put it this way, I nursed my ds, and I hadn't started my period again, and we were using condoms, and I still got pg with my dd when my ds was 6 mos old...

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i read, i think on kellymom, that the only way it is a reliable form of BC is if baby has no other food (no solids), and no nipple substitutes (no pacifiers), and is fed on demand. i know if my son didn't have a pacifier he would have been sucking on my breasts for about 20 hrs per day the first few months, so i wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant! lol. but we did the pacifier, so we used condoms and/or pull out method... those 2 methods aren't the greatest either though, but i hoped maybe the combo would do something! :)

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, you can't count on it.

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No method of BC can be trusted but abstinence. breast feeding, pills, IUDs, shots, and even surgical sterilization all have failure rates.

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, you can't rely on it. I have babies just over a year apart to prove it.

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would not risk it if you do not want to have any children in the near future. Perhaps you might want to discuss a different option w/ your doc.

Answer by armanaqueen630 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009