Can breastfeeding be trusted as birth control?

Are the odds the same if my SO ejaculates in me that I will get pregnant, regardless if I'm breastfeeding? Can breastfeeding give me any, even a little, peace of mind that I didn't get pregnant!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Um No, You're much more likely to get pregnant in the First year of your kids life reglardless if you breastfeed or not.. I wouldn't chance it if you're not wanting to get pregnant again.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• omg it would take me a good few month b4 i was sexual active again after birth lol but god no's were that idea came from the only thing to stop u falling prego is birth control , am with mj bn fe on this one u will be more fertile after birth so use something on the end of him lol if yr not planning on another baby lol good luck xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 5:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Nursing can suppress ovulation, BUT - it doesn't always suppress it, and it doesn't mean that it's suppressed every month...

Put it this way, I nursed my ds, and I hadn't started my period again, and we were using condoms, and I still got pg with my dd when my ds was 6 mos old...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i read, i think on kellymom, that the only way it is a reliable form of BC is if baby has no other food (no solids), and no nipple substitutes (no pacifiers), and is fed on demand. i know if my son didn't have a pacifier he would have been sucking on my breasts for about 20 hrs per day the first few months, so i wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant! lol. but we did the pacifier, so we used condoms and/or pull out method... those 2 methods aren't the greatest either though, but i hoped maybe the combo would do something! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, you can't count on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No method of BC can be trusted but abstinence. breast feeding, pills, IUDs, shots, and even surgical sterilization all have failure rates.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, you can't rely on it. I have babies just over a year apart to prove it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would not risk it if you do not want to have any children in the near future. Perhaps you might want to discuss a different option w/ your doc.
    armanaqueen630

Answer by armanaqueen630 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009