When do I start to discipline my child? Until now, she doesn't seem to get it when I tell her No

Ammoush

Asked by Ammoush at 6:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started as soon as they did something I didn't want them to do. Usually around 3-6 months. At that age though I just used my words. For example, my 2nd born had a TEMPER! He would get SO angry. While trying to distract him I would tell him, "No. Don't get angry. Calm down. No, no." I have found the sooner you start with something the sooner they understand it. At 1 year or so he knew exactly what I meant when I would say that to him. As far as doing anything, it wasn't until they were crawling and reaching for dangerous things that I would pull them back with a sharp NO and sometimes even a little smack on the hand when they refused to leave something alone.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When they are really young. Prevention is the best thing I think. Put things up that you do not want them to get to and lock cabinets and doors. Everything else pull them away from it. The NO thing does not always work.

It is hard but, keeping track of what your child is doing will stop them from getting into things you do not want them to get in to.

Answer by louise2 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My DD didn't really get into things until she was about 9 mos. When she started getting more exploratory, and going for things she shouldn't be touching, was when I started saying, "that's not for babies." or "don't touch that, No thank you."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Discipline should be started very, very early, at least by the time a child is crawling. We never have put things away either with our children nor with the grandchildren who spend a great deal of time at our home. We teach them not to bother those things that we don't want bothered. That way, when you take them places, they understand the word "no" and they do not bother the things of other people who may not have had the time to put things away. I personally don't think there is any better way to teach this than with a swat on the leg, hand, or behind. In my 40 years of child rearing, I have seen 100% success rate with that method and have 3 children and 4 grandchildren who are very well mannered, respectful, and who are very loving people. And it really is true that it hurts the parent or the grandparent far worse than it does the child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009