How can i get my daughter off the pacifer?

I will put her down for nap or bed time she cry for it she has teeth coming in and she all most 16 months okd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its very simple. she is a baby. you are an adult. take it away, do not give it back.

i really do not understand the problem, ALL babies cry when they want something, but that is far too old to still use a pappy. soon enough she'll learn other methods of self soothing, and it'll be a thing of the past.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If you child needs it for teething I wouldn't take it away. What I would make sure is that you don't give the pacifier to her when she doesn't need it for comfort. I only gave the pacifier to my son when he was teething and at 10 months when he was struggling with his teeth he just threw it at me and decided to go without.

I think generally you will run into a problem if your child is just using it for the sake of using it. Many parents just give it to a child to keep them quiet.

Let her have it for comfort for her teeth but don't give it to her any other time. If you want her to give it up completely now then find something else that will comfort her. I really do believe though that if she is only using it for teething issues that she will give it up on her own accord when ready.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Someone told me to cut off the front tip of the nipple just a bit. They won't like it and will not want it anymore. I did it for mine at 12 mo. old . She got frustrated at it for about a day, then didn't want it anymore after that. So it worked great for me!
    RuthsPlace

Answer by RuthsPlace at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with the second answer, that if she's teething you might want to waut a bit, it would make her gums feel better to chew on it, but when you are ready to get rid of it, Cut a tiny bit off the top, and make sure it's a clean cut so there's no choking problem. With the hole, she won't get any suction from it. It worked with all of my kids, they were done with it in 1-2 days.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I gave my daughter a paci to help with teething as well and it was helpful to her. She became attached to it though even after she was done teething. I went cold tukey one day and just threw it out. She fussed for the first day or so but after that it was like she had forgotten all about it.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 3:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009