How much should she eat?

I posted a question about my 8month old's eating yesterday, and after reading the answers I have another question.
I had stated that my daughter BFs 4 times a day. She also eats solids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She sleeps 11 hours a night, so that only leave 13 hours of awake time for me to feed her. But, people said I should be BF her 8 times a day. If I nursed her 8 times a day, and fed her 3 solid meals a day she would be eating 11 times in a 13 hour span.... that just seems like way too much to me. She also snacks on puffs, yogurt melts, and fruit throughout the day.
I don't want her going hungry if I don't BF 8 times a day, but if she's sleeping 11 hours at night isn't that a good indication that she isn't hungry?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 8:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will let you know when she is hungry. My son is only 4 months old and he only gets a bottle 3 times a day and sleeps all through the night. And he is doing fine. My doctor even asked me what i have been feeding him because he is gaining weight so well. I dont think that she needs to be BF 8 times a day. That is more for when they are younger and are eating more. You seem like you are doing everything great to me. Everyone has a different point of view on how kids should be raised and fed. But if she is doing fine now then dont worry about it. If you start to change things now then she will get confused and her schedule will be off. I have always been told that your kids will let you know what is wrong with them. So if things work the way they are now then leave it that way.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• U DO NOT HAVE TO BF HER 8 TIMES. YOU CAn BF HER AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. BUT what is she having with ther solids? she need some milk or a lil juice or something with them. u can pump and give her milk with it. or get a lil formula for her. If the baby isnt crying for food she is fine. if she is gaining weight she is fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do the same as you... 3 regular meals with the same snacks spread throughout the day. my daughter nurses irregularly and sometimes its just a little sip but i would say she only has probably arouns 4 full nursing sessions in a day. theres no need to wake an 8 month old child to feed without and medical condition. I say were doing great at least I hope so.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009