Did you childproof?

I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but I didn't...

Now I do keep all chemicals on the top shelf of the linen closet but I didn't safeguard anything else...

I think that when the child goes to another persons home, it isn't childproofed so the child must learn boundaries.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have Never Childproofed! The thing is to House proof your baby! What if you go somewhere that has no kids in the home? You will be constantly chasing your child, or your child will be constantly breaking things! My children were ALWAYS home proofed, Not my house was baby proffed! And fondly enough, I could bring my kids ANYWHERE and NOT worry about them getting into ANYTHING! Thats just MY opinion, it doesn't work for everyone.

Blame_Me76

Answer by Blame_Me76 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I did some. Things that could hurt them, like chemicals and stuff, yes, I did. I also used gates and stuff.

If something was really valuable and fragile, then yes, I did.

But things like moving the CD's out of their reach, or books, or etc, no, I didn't. For the same reason you did. There's nothing wrong with teaching children boundaries and no.

So it was about 1/2 to 3/4 baby-proofed.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I didn't because I thought that there was nothing my son would get hurt on. BOY WAS I WRONG!!

I did safe proof when he started crawling because it was abolsutely ridiculous how many obstacles and dangers there were that I hadn't anticipated.

But now that he is nearly 2, I don't. The only thing I do is put the plastic things in plug sockets. I do agree that he needs to learn boundaries and now that he is able to understand I can do that...but that isnt possible when your child is first crawling in my opinion.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• nope, don't "child proof" either.

obvious things like cleaning supplies and tools (drill bits, razor blades, etc) are our of reach, but the rest. nah.

if you "child proof" all you're doing is teaching them that EVERYTHING is there for them to touch, play with, etc. when we go to the grandparents, their house isn't, nor are most of my friends- even the ones with children. so, i agree with PP. its much better for them to understand that "we touch with our eyes, not with our hands", and so, that said, i do have a couple of things that my DS who is 4, will not leave alone. like my SO's RC Helis- he put those very expensive toys away, and only brings them out for special occasion. but thats his choice.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• "I did safe proof when he started crawling because it was abolsutely ridiculous how many obstacles and dangers there were that I hadn't anticipated."

That's the kind of thing I was talking about with what we did - we made it safe, but we didn't "child proof". If it was something they were going to get hurt by, then we moved it as much as was practical - I don't think we can make any home completely "safe" - that's why we have to watch them, too ;-) But if it was something they were going to make a mess with, or just wasn't for playing with, but wasn't a safety hazard, (or really valuable lol) then no, I didn't put it up.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• same as most other people. Cleaning stuff is all out of reach and I have the plastic things over plugs. Oh and I put a guard thing on the side of my bed so when she sleeps with me she wont roll out. But other than that I didnt do anything crazy.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not really.... I kept gats up when she started crawling.... one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom! I neve took them down so I got a lot of exercise that way ;) I moved all my meds and chems up to the top shelf in whatever room (bathroom, kitchen, hallway closet) they were in when she was 11 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not really... I have a gate at the stairs (he can go up, but doesn't know how to get down), and I have a child lock on the cabinets with the cleaning supplies, but that's about it. I agree with most of the other posters on here, I think it's better to "houseproof" the baby than "babyproof" the house... He's only 13 months old, but he knows what he can and can't do.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I totally childproofed. And will for as long as it takes. My kids are the ones teaching others how to remove the outlet covers at less than a year old :P My kids invent ways to get hurt even when it is childproofed. I get that others' homes may not be- that is why I keep a close eye on them.

I am grinning a bit over the statements that I am some how teaching my children that they can touch everything. Mine would do it any way... Yes, even with consistent redirection/discipline. I think this concept is more temperament related than some parents give credit for. Some kids are more spirited and adventurous than others. We are working on not getting into drawers right now. We have one drawer in the living room that they are not allowed to touch and they continue anyway but will get it in time I am sure.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I did somewhat. The only incident about childproofing we experienced was when visiting my mother in law. She had a bowl of marbles on her living room coffee table and would NOT remove them even when the kids were present. I was scared to death and had to keep my eyes on the kids constantly when visiting. Her reasoning was kids should know what NOT to touch. Yeah right!! Pretty shiny marbles don't catch a kids eye...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009