Do you really care?!

When people speak of taking God out of the pledge, do you care? If the school is teaching the big bang theory, but not Intelligent Design, do you care?
What is appropriate for the school to allow and not allow?
I know there are people who would fight to the end to keep "God in school". Why are you allowed that right, but those who feel differently are not allowed that right? Religion does NOT belong in public school....that is what church and sunday SCHOOL and private religious schools are for, are they not?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i do not believe in god. i am NOT under god. so i want it taking out. In school I didnt say it because it said that. They cant make a kid say it. I dont think god belongs in public school no matter what. they do not have the right to teach your child about religion that is not their job. If i wanted my kids to learn about god in school they would go to a private school or a christian school. Church or sunday school..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I believe that Intelligent Design should be taught, just as the Big Bang Theory should be taught. Scientifically speaking, they are both theories, and as such both should be taught, and then leave it up to the individual students to decide what they personally believe - as long as they are knowledgeable about both.

As far as freedom of religion goes - I do not believe that any one religion should be endorsed by the government - however - freedom OF religion does not mean freedom FROM religion. It means the government cannot force someone to believe a certain way, or persecute someone for not believing. But, by the same token, those who believe (in whatever they believe in) have the right to express it publicly - and that includes in state run schools. Because otherwise, it's a violation of THEIR religious freedom, and ALL of us have the right to that.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would rather all religious teachings be left out, whether they be Christian or not, unless it is a private school with no aid from the government. Allowing the children to express religion ON THEIR OWN is fine, but with backing from te school, it looks to "outsiders" as if a school only supports a certain religion.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Scientifically speaking, they are both theories

No, that's the problem. In layman's terms, they're both theories. In scientific ones, where theory has a very specific definition, they are not, only the Big Bang is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• God is what we have built our society on...Even the Indians who inhabited this land before most of us arrived, worshipped "God" or Loak Ishto Hollo Aba (Great Holy Father who lives in the Heavens) so yes I would be upset if they took that out. And before government dictated that children should go to "public" school, they were homeschooled and God was a part of that life.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• cont

But, just as I should have the right for me or my kids to say it, you have just as much right to NOT say it. I'm Christian. My kids and I say it. One of my best friends (we've been friends for almost 14 yrs now), is Pagan, married to an Atheist, and she and her kids do NOT say it. By "it" I'm talking about the "Under God" line.

To each their own, because we BOTH have the right, and we are both able to be tolerant of others who don't believe exactly as we do,and respect their right to be just as vocal about their beliefs (even if their belief is that there's nothing to believe in, spiritually speaking).

No offense, but I think that people who are so fired up to remove this from things are just as intolerant as those who try to force organized prayer in school (as opposed to, say, a moment of silence, where people could choose to pray, read, pass a note, or whatever).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ". And before government dictated that children should go to "public" school, they were homeschooled and God was a part of that life."

People still have the option to homeschool.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• "People still have the option to homeschool."

Yes, but not all are financially set to be able to do so.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Actually, there are many scientists that believe that the big bang theory and intelligent design are one and the same. But the point is, I don't think there's anything wrong with them saying "The Big Bang Theory says we were created like this.... Intelligent Design believes that this is how it was created... The Ancient Mayans believe this.... etc, etc.

Then, leave it up to the kids and their parents to decide which they believe, as long as when they are tested on it, they are able to say what each one believes - NOT whether it's true or not.

For example, I'm able to talk about Greek Gods, that doesn't mean I have to believe in them - just that I was educated on what the Greeks believed...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Jademom07

what about us that don't believe in god and have our kids go to public schools? why should out kids have to deal with it just BC u believe in god and so do your kids? that's not fair.

its 2009 not way back when Ur talking about. times change there's more then just god. u cant take what one group believes and put it around schools. That's like putting Christmas decor up and no decor for any other religion its like saying their religion is no good and Christianity is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2009