Should I ask my midwife to induce me or strip the membrane or what?

I am only 38 weeks, but I have been having contractions for 2 and half weeks now. They started at 20 minutes apart with out missing a beat and now they are every 17 minutes. I also have dilated to 2 cm and am 50 % effaced and leaking amniotic fluids. Well this have been going on for almost 3 weeks and really no progression other than the 3 minute change in contractions. Im thinking is my fluid is low that could be a problem for my baby and it has to be low because I leak everyday. I wanted to to wait and have it all come natural, but also want a healthy baby too. Plus she has cut down on her moving alot. My midwife said she needs to move at least 8 to 10 times in a two hour period. But when I do the kick counts it's only 4 or 5 times in that 2 hour period. I had my appt. last week and they did the NST on her to watch her movements and she went crazy and didn't stop moving at al. They got over 15 movements in an hour. Advice??

JustPlainOlMOM

Asked by JustPlainOlMOM at 8:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like baby isn't ready yet...and 38 weeks is still early yet if your counts are accurate...I'd give another week or two before I have them do it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I feel this way. When your Doctor or midwife thinks it is time to deliver. He/she will do something to make you deliver.

Answer by louise2 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• baby isn't cooked yet. it takes time, be patient. when you try to speed nature along, it only makes things more complicated, and ups your risk of a c-section.

as for low fluid- it is completely replaced every 4-6 hours. i wouldn't be at all concerned about it, which is probably why your MW isn't. they tend not to sweat the small things, and look at labor/birth as a normal process, not a medical procedure. the less outside involvement the lower the risks are.

i hate it for you, i was in labor with my last DS for almost 9 days, contractions every 6-9 minutes, completely effaced, only dilated very, very, very slowly.

it'll happen soon enough. just give it time momma!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• leave that baby alone, it knows what it's doing.
    ugh
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i say no. everything sounds fine to me, and it sounds like your body is preparing, and your baby is still preparing. i know it's hard not to get nervous about baby's health when s/he is still inside and you can't see that she is ok but trust your body and your midwife and everything will be great. and you won't have to worry about the risks of induction, plus the possibility that your baby's body isn't mature enough to come out yet. good luck! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ""leave that baby alone, it knows what it's doing.
    ugh ""

she is just worried, PP. it's natural. she's a momma! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Are you sure that you're leaking amniotic fluid? Have you been tested to verify? If not, the baby could be putting enough pressure on your bladder that it is actually urine and not fluid you are leaking. An ultrasound can show if you have enough fluid.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Advice~ NO vaginal exams if you're water has ruptured.
    And try to encourage baby into an optimal position, prodromal labor can be a "mal" position.

You won't "run out" of fluid, your body completely replaces amniotic fluid every 3 hours. But you can drink more to help replenish it more easily without becoming dehydrated.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes they checked everything my midwife said last week that Im a 6 as far as amniotic fluids. She said 5 is low and if it gets under that, they will be concerned. I already said I plan to wait it out as long as baby is healthy to have all happen natural. Its only natural to get worried. My friend was just induced early because the fluids were below a 5 and because of that the baby was born with health problems. So yes Im concerned esp. since I have had problems and baby has had problems since 20 weeks when they put me on complete bed rest.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 1:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Rehydration will probably be the best thing now. Drink a LOT of water, all day. And then drink more. ;-)
    Are they checking you manually? They know that they can introduce bacteria/infection most effectively that way-- it's "the number one no-no."
    You are still on bedrest~ are you monitoring yourself from home?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009