Bullies in Kindergarten

My son has started kindergarten this year, about the beginning of last week he has started having problems with another boy in his class, this other boy calls him names. Well that's all I could get out of my son. I have told him to keep away from this boy, Now my son is not wanting to go to school because of it. Should I call the teacher, and If I do will she even do anything about it. I think it's terrible that kids are already strting this in kindergarten, when I was in school I don't remember anything like that happpening at least until the 4th grade. I don't want my son to feel bad about himself because of some dumb kid, he told me he calls him names cause he thinks he's a loser.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in

• If this were happening to one my kid, I would do some research on good ways for 5-6 year olds to stand up for themselves. If this kid is a bully now, he's going to be relentless in another couple of years making your son's life miserable...he's already honed in on him and until your son does something he won't stop. Teacher, principal, and parent intervention can only go so far and don't mean anything when they are out on the playground out of sight or immediate reach of an adult.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'd go to the principal. Teachers generally don't scare kids. Perhaps a visit to the principal will show this kid early that bullying is not to be tolerated.
    Dyssy

Answer by Dyssy at 9:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would start w/the teacher, then move up from there if it continues.

my daughter had a bully @ a few wks ago...the little girl told my daughter her hair was ugly and that she smelled funny...I told my daughter to tell the little girl something nice for every mean thing she said---If she told my dh she had ugly hair my dh would tell the bully she had pretty hair---worked pretty quick when the bully saw it wasent getting to my dh it wasent fun any more---not saying itll work for yours just worked for mine.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• at my house, we have an approach to bullying that works for us and nobody ever agrees with. my son was bullied in kindergarten by a neighbor and a boy on the bus.
    my ol man told my son when the boy on the bus bullied him, to just punch him dead square in the nose and then the gut. a punch to the nose hurts EVERYONE. and if he didn't fight back he was gettin a whippin when he got home.
    well, it worked, my son punched the kid in the nose and then the gut and the bus driver ignored it and it NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN.
    the neighbor was harder, we put my son in horsemanship classes to build up selfesteem. and finally when he got built up and then got bullied by the neighbor, he just whipped the shit out of her. yes-her. and it NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN.
    imo-you gotta fight back early and hard.
    my girls were born fighters, and have never been bullied.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• haha DD not DH---its early :)
    bumblebeestingu

• jewjewbee, my brother did the same thing with his son who was bullied. Told him that if he didn't fight back, he'd get it worse at home. He was so scared to fight back, so he never did and all that did was make him miserable at school and at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow enforcing abuse with peers with abuse at home, bc that will teach kids valuable lessons... In my house we DO NOT HIT. The only time violence is condoned is if we have no other option and a life is in danger. Self defense is one thing, bt hitting as a way of solving problems, I feel sorry for the issues that will cause in those kids later.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Self defense is one thing

Isn't that the whole issue here?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

Next question in
Question for the teachers...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
kids