Which religions do infant baptism?

I know some do and some don't but I am interested in the religions that DO offer infant baptism not a ceremony or dedication.

I am not asking if it is right or wrong either. We have had that debate so many times already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm baptist and we do it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Catholics
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Depends on if your particular faith believes in original sin, if so then the child is born with the sins of the fathers and must be cleansed. When I was a Baptist (raised that way for many years) we did not baptise babies but instead would dedicate them to the church. Baptism was a public affirmation of accepting Jesus, so you had to be old enough to make the decision (usually around 9-12yo).

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wiki has a list:

Most Christians practice infant baptism.[1] They include the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodoxy, Armenian Apostolic Church, Assyrian Church of the East, the Anglican Communion, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, the Church of the Nazarene,[2] the Reformed Church in America,[3] the United Church of Canada, the United Church of Christ (UCC), and the Continental Reformed.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 9:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Zakysmommy Catholics

eye rolling

Catholics are not the only ones that have infant baptism.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Is a christening different from a baptism?

I know the Church of England christens infants.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• define baptism. surely you don't want them to hold the baby under water like they do adults
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Lutherans do. Both my sons have been baptized. They just sprinkle water on their heads.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009