Are Catholics the only ones who use rosaries?

I saw a muslim woman with one the other day. I looked it up and there are some prayers that can be said on the rosary. Does anyone now more info about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "The idea of rosary beads is not uniquely Catholic: the Hebrews used to tie 150 knots on a string to represent the 150 Psalms and Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists and Muslims also use strings of beads to keep track of prayers and mantras."

Source: http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/practices/praying_rosary.htm
    Dyssy

Answer by Dyssy at 9:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Prayer Beads are becoming more and more popular. Many Pagan religions/paths/people use them as well as many non-catholic Christians do. The Native Americans were known for them. Now, a rosarie in particular with the cross, that is specifically a Christian tool (in most cases) although some Chrstian Wiccans use them as well...

I honestly couldn't tell you about Muslims, but since prayer beads are simply a tool used to keep track of repetative prayer, I don't see why they counldn't be used for almost any path.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Sabrina you wrote a key word that throws some into a frenzy. The word you used was repetitive. Those who use prayer beads use the word meditative. The beads do help you to keep track of where you are during these meditative prayers. While we say these prayers we are to meditate on certain things. BTW I'm not criticising you just trying to clear something up.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i myself don't use prayer beads. and no Muslim i know uses prayer beads. however i have seen some muslims use it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i use my fingers to make what muslims call dhikr (rememberances of Allah).. we say things like..
    Glory is to Allah
    All praise and thanks is to Allah
    Allah is Great.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) did this and he used his fingers. He counted every digit of his fingers. The point of the dhikr is to Praise Allah, Remember him. so you have to be reflective, think about what you are saying and why you are saying it. It has to be sincere and for the sole purpose of pleasing Allah.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Prayer beads are common in many religions. They are a tool used to help focus the mind on prayer, in other words it's somewhat like meditating. Some people (like me) have a difficult time focusing their mind on the task at hand. Rosaries or prayer beads help you to do that.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Aasiyah. I've used my fingers before when a Rosary wasn't handy. It's not the beads but the intent of the prayer.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Other religions also use prayer beads... some Buddhists use a mala, a form of prayer beads, to focus attention during meditation.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i have used my fingers to say the rosary, i have also used flowers or pictures that light up when you click them on the internet.

My mom is such and expert with the finger count, she doesn't know how to use the rosary beads.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Here is an example of a prayer Pagan prayer. The beads help us keep track of where we are in said prayer.
    1. May the Maiden bless me and all my beginnings with a light heart.
    2. May the Mother bless me and care for me with her loving arms.
    3. May the Crone bless me and teach me the ways of wisdom.
    4. May the Green Man bless me with laughter and joy.
    5. May the Corn King teach me the meaning of sacrifice.
    6. May the Horned One protect me and guide me through the darkness.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009