How many diapers?

Okay, I know newborns go through about 10-12 diapers a day. But how long does that last? I want to buy enough diapers for the first 4-5 weeks...I have a box of size 2 (12-18 lbs) - one of the big ones, 228 diapers. And in my cart at diapers.com i have 2 giant cases of newborn size, which have 160 in each. Enough or should i get another box of one more size up? i don't really know how quickly babies gain weight, i'm sure it's different baby-to-baby...

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 9:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if your baby is still in newborn sizes I don't think you'll be needing size 2 for awhile still.
    I think I would get 1 box newborn if your baby will be in them awhile still and then 2-3 boxes of size 1.
    You baby will likely be in size 1 until they are about 3 months old and maybe older
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The 10-12 diapers didn't last long for my DS. Right now he is 6 months and he goes through a case of 96 about every 5 days.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Bum genius makes a 1-size-adjustable cloth diaper. It will fit from 7 lbs up to like 25 lbs. But cloth isn't for everyone. It just seems so much cheaper for my family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• thank you, ladies. ecodani, i love the bum genius diapers, my cousin uses them for her little ones & i would love to, also. unfortunately, we do not have our own washer/dryer, so we want to use the disposables until we figure out some sort of system & get used to being parents...thanks for the tip!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't know if I would buy that many at first. My son was only in newborn diapers for 9 days after he was born. Then my a month he was in size 2. Every baby grows differently. My son is breastfed and he's 4mths and he goes through 10-12 diapers still. If you buy a lot of diapers, keep the receipts. Then if your baby needs a different size you can exchange them.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son was born 8lbs 3 oz and didnt fit in the newborn diapers so i went out and bought 3 boxes of size one(92 in each box) now he is 6 weeks old and in size 2...so it varies....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009