what did you do with your other child(ren) while you were in labor?

Our family lives about 1.5 hrs north of us. i am considering a hospital about half an hour from family (1 hr from us), and a hospital 2.5 hours from family (1 hr from us). obviously just in terms of distance the first hospital would be the better choice, but i have other considerations too. :)

We might be able to have some friends watch our son until family could come. We just recently moved to the area though, but I'm not even pregnant so we have time to make friends. ;)

I was also thinking about renting a hotel room if we do the hospital 2.5 hrs from family, and my son could stay there with either my mom or my MIL or both. of course then i would have to wait for them to drive the 1.5 hrs to our house before we headed to the hospital which is 1 hr from us. so it would take us about 3 hrs to get to the hospital after i decided i was actually in labor.

CONTINUES

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• CONTINUED

i don't mind to labor at home for a while, i actually prefer it, but i don't want to end up having my son in the car, and i don't want to end up calling my MIL or mom to come and it be a false alarm. lol

home birth is also an option we are considering but probably the cost will be too high. ironic right? i am in the process of finding out what insurance would cover.

i assume most people drop their kid(s) off with family, but how about those of you who don't live near family?

thanks!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My Mom is only 45 minutes away from me. And so is the hospital I will deliever at.

But luckily we live in a multi-family home. (My Mom's best friend is our land-lady, and lives right upstairs with her daughter, who is my best friend and first daughter's godmother.)

So as soon as I go into labor I will be calling my mother who will drive here. If I need to go suddenly, and someone is home, my (almost) 2 year old can stay with them until my Mom arrives. If no one else is home, we will take my daughter to the hospital with us and my Mom will drive there instead and take her back to my house.

Sounds a lot more complicated written, LOL!
    o0laurie.love0o

Answer by o0laurie.love0o at 9:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• children are allowed in delivery rooms, why don't you just have the ol man bring the child with him?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• good point jewjewbee, and i had thought of that, but my son will be around 3 (well depending on our TTC luck), and it could be middle of the night, or he could need a lot of attention, etc, and i know when i had him, all i could focus on was the labor, and i have a feeling it would not go well. :) lots of moaning and shouting is expecting on my part. lol

but i was thinking maybe he could just go with us to start, then we could wait (with my husband watching him) for my mom or MIL to come get him and take him to the hotel room i mentioned, or somewhere fun for the day if it's day time. :)

___________

and thanks laurie. i am thinking a couple of my coworkers might be happy to have us drop him off there for a few hours to wait for MIL or mom
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Don't you have a hospital closer to you? I have to drive a half hour and that drive scares me. I couldn't imagine having a hour drive or more to the hospital. I'd really think hard. My son will be with our parents.. but our parents are 5 minutes from us.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Do you live in bowling green ohio?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• "Don't you have a hospital closer to you? I have to drive a half hour and that drive scares me. I couldn't imagine having a hour drive or more to the hospital. I'd really think hard. My son will be with our parents.. but our parents are 5 minutes from us. "

there is a hospital near us, but i want a normal birth, and this hospital isn't mom/baby friendly, and from what i've heard they are high on interventions. i want to be able to move around freely so my labor will progress, and i can manage my pain without drugs, but they like to keep you in bed. :( boo! ;) i just want to minimize my risk for interventions from iv and epi to c-section.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son stayed with a friend and my inlaws drove up and took him from there and was there at the hospital when my daughter was born. My son wasn't in the delivery room, but outside in the hall with his grandparents
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• bowling green kentucky
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my labor was so fast that by the time i got to the hospital.got checked to make sure i was in labor and given the epideral,by the time my husband got back from dropping her off at the sitters it was time to push. personally i dont think i could go to a hospital an hr away.id be afraid id give birth in the car. plus when your in labor you dont really want to be stuck in a car for an hr. but thats just me. id use a local freind or baby sitter to whatch the kid untill family and freinds got there and then have someoen bring her/him up to the hospital or someone pick em up. for me i didnt have anyone else in the room with me besides my husband. and thats how i always plan to have it. but our family also lives 10 hrs away.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009