would you potty train...

I babysit a just turned 2 year old and his mom asked me to start potty trainning him and said he peeed one time on the potty for them so i have but he is not doing anything on the potty when i sit him there so last weekend i asked how he did over the weekend and she said they didn't try b/c they were busy ?? so why should i try I think the child has a delay b/c he only says about 5 words and he just cries for no reason and cant say things like hurt or tummy anything or he can't point to things when you ask where something is....so should i still work with him if they are not going to try??? and its going to be hard since he cant say pee pee or anything???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that them asking you to potty train their child is asking a bit much.
    My sole piece of advice, is to seriously up your going babysitting rates, or tell them that they need to train their own kid.

Dyssy

Answer by Dyssy at 9:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm not sure it means he's delayed that he's not talking much, and that really doesn't have a whole lot to do with potty training.

But if they are not going to make a 110% commitment to training him at home then there is no point in you starting. Consistency is very important and he'll never catch on if he is only expected to use the potty for you and no one else.

The parents should know that, it's pretty much common sense. But you should mention that to them and if they start making excuses then you have every right to give them a dirty look and say you're not doing it! =P
    o0laurie.love0o

Answer by o0laurie.love0o at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• This is how I see it...I pay you do to more than watch my child. If we're potty training him, then you need to continue with that. If you don't want to then tell them that so they can find a person who will. If you don't want to take him potty every 3 seconds "just in case" then set up a chart and talk to the parents about when you would take him potty and stress that he needs consistency so they can't just do it when they feel they have time.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow, that's messed up. I think you guys both need to be on the same page, using the same techniques and giving the same amount of effort or you're just going to confuse the kid and prolong the process. I would talk to the parents and if they want to fire you over it, then get a different job. I don't think it should be the babysitter's job to potty train the child. I do think you need to continue with whatever they are doing themselves, but from what you said it sounds like they aren't doing anything.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ok...i had my own child care for a while..and my policy was that...the parents had to potty train on their own time for at least a month..with success ....before i would even start to potty train in my facility. and i refused to use pull ups..either they kept a diaper on and i would just take it off to take them and then put it back on..or they switched to underwear...and that way..i didn't have to start doing the potty training until the kids were actually ready...bc the parents would wait until their child was more ready if they had to do it.

good luck :)
    butterfly-jo

Answer by butterfly-jo at 4:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009