If you knew your kid was a terror without their meds, would you send them to school any way if they hadn't taken them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• no....why would you do that to the school AND the child. The child will be getting reprimanded all day (which lowers self esteem) for something that is out of his control. not to mention....the safety factor for the child and those around him.......I would either send him in late after giving meds at home (drive him there) or go to the school if he is already on the bus, tell the school nurse meds were forgotten and you need to give them to him (they should call him down to the nurses office w/out a problem) or keep him home

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• probably not
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• NOPE. My nephew has to take meds and the one day he didn't get it, I can't recall the reason, his Grandmother was there picking him up by 8:30 because he'd already been that much of a disruption. It took her all day at home to get one page of math completed with him. He has ADHD.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My SS has Adhd and his mother VERY often does not give him his morning meds. The school calls me around 9am so that I can come in and give him his meds. Then he has to stay in the nurses office until they kick in bc he disrupts the class so much. It is really sad that she does not see how it hurts him to not take his meds, he looses class time and has very few friends bc of his behavior.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It would depend on the age of the child and the reasonmeds were missed. If it is a young elementary school student I would probably keep them home or give them the meds late and take them in late because it was my fault. If it's an older child who is responsible for taking his/her own meds, then I would send them and let them face the consequences. I think at some point the child does have to take responsibility for taking meds. My 13 yo is responsible for taking her meds daily, and if she misses them she can deal with the consequences - she doesn't forget to take them very often because she knows it makes her life easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No... I worked at an agency that cared for children in temporary care of Child Services or who were in need of therapy. Sometimes, the parents would take them for the weekend and not give the kiddos their meds the entire time! So, naturally, when they returned to the program, they were a mess and it caused all kinds of disruptions. IMO, its not fair to the kiddo who didn't get the meds b/c he/she will probably have a very difficult time focusing or may get into some trouble that could've been avoided. Also, its not fair to the teachers and other children who could possibly be distracted by the child's behavior, impairing the class's ability to learn and the teachers ability to teach. JMO from experience working with kiddos who take meds.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i worked in a daycare school age summer program, and a boy there was on meds for adhd. he was CRAZY without them, but was having heart probs bc of them as well. i guess i'll take crazy over harmful. it was tough bc during the summer she kinda "detoxed" him since he really needed it for school. poor mom, he gave us a long day, but i'd rather him stay healthy. so for that reason i can see why a parent wouldnt give em.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have two w/ADHD. My dd was totally distracted w/o her meds. She just,I mean just got something that seems to be helping. You have no idea how hard it can be to give a child medications. At times things go completely smooth then other times my baby acts crazy,pacing around and all the side effects. It's one of those things that I would have to say "walk a mile in my shoes,before making a judgement." What if it was your child? I do what I can do,if she had to miss a dose and she could go to school heck yah,I would send her. I am not the kind of parent that easily lets my kids stay home anyway. I know the value of an education. If they were jumping around like a jumping bean or I had known they were disrupting class or something,I think urgent care,here we come!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009