Your not Roman; you are Catholic...

There has been a lot of talk about Catholics lately and you have confused this older Catholic.

I understand 'Roman Catholic' is not the proper name of those who are part of the Latin Rite. I am so confused on this topic I am not sure were to begin my question. I see some websites that call it Roman Rite and others call it the Latin rite. Why the difference? (the site that used Roman Rite is not a Catholic site)

The Latin rite (or roman) patriarch is the bishop of Rome. What does that mean?

I am sure I will have many more questions later as I learn about this. If anyone has a website that is produced by the vatican or a Catholic organization that will help me. I would like a link by Catholics because I am question the validity of the information on many sites.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 10:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• See why most of us are Protestants? Even Catholics don't understand Catholicism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ooo our little Catholic troll is back
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You could try talking to a priest. Dont they go to school and learn things like that? I dont know. I stopped going to Catholic church years ago. But they would be the first person I'd ask. Or, call the local Catholic church and ask them if they know of any websites or even classes at the church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Have you tried catholic answers? That site is pretty good I think. I would try to explain all of this to you, but I am really horrible at it. That's why I never volunteered as a CCD teacher, I know the faith but I don't explain things well at all. Also, some parishes let you attend RCIA classes even though you are already Catholic. At least one parish I've been to has done that as a refresher for "born and raised" Catholics who may not remember or understand parts of their faith.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do know that the term Roman Catholic came about as a derogatory term from the protestants to describe Catholics. Latin rite which is the largest is mostly in the west. there are Marion rites, Syrian rites, Byzantine rites, and a few others. these different rites have to do with where they came from. They are associated with the different Apostles that were the first teachers in the different lands. The Doctrines of these different rites are the Same and look to Rome to keep the doctrine. Now the disciplines of the different rites vary. Such as Priests being able to marry. That is a disciple not doctrine. So we as Catholics can go any of the different rite churches, for the doctrine is the same. So basically we are all Roman Catholic because we all look to Rome to hold the Doctrines true. The teaching of Christ through his Apostles.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I always understood it as a distinction from the Eastern Catholics (the Byzantine and Oriental Catholic branches).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Bishop of Rome = the Pope
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh I did forget this. Many of the eastern rites follow Paul, while the western rites follow Peter. that is were the first chasm started. So the rites that follow Peter are Roman for that is where the the Seat of Peter is. In Rome.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I see some websites that call it Roman Rite and others call it the Latin rite. Why the difference?

Usually it's referred to as the Latin Rite.  As someone mentioned "Roman Catholic" was used in a derogatory way in an attempt by non-Catholics to try to show that the church wasn't universal (aka 'catholic').   But some places may use "Roman Rite" with no intention of being offensive (just like some places may say "Roman Catholic" without intending to be offensive).  There are other churches that use the title "Catholic" that are not in union with the pope (aka: Old Catholic Church or Independent Catholic Church).  So sometimes people use "Roman Catholic" to distinguish the churches that are in communion with the pope in Rome.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The Latin rite (or roman) patriarch is the bishop of Rome. What does that mean?

Each of the different rites have a "patriarch" sort of  the guy that has the final say in the disciplines of the rite - things like the canon law or the guidelines/requirements for different litergies like the Mass.  So for Latin Rite the pope is that guy.  In the various Eastern rites there are other patrarches - but they are ultimately answerable to the pope.    This article seems to be a good overview how I understand the organization of the church is. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009