What can i use to remove pet hair & smell from sofas?

Well a friend of mine was nice enough to give me her sofas we really needed for free however she had cats and their is tons of cat hair on them. My husband is allergic and sneezes when he comes near them lol.. They also smell like pets not bad just like pets what can I buy to remove the pet hair and smell??

NuyoricanMILF

Asked by NuyoricanMILF at 10:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My hubby is also allergic to cats and we have a super shedding dog, so for our couch, we use a lint remover similar to Pledge's Fabric Sweeper for pet hair and sometimes the sticky tape kind for the stubborn hairs. For cleaning and smell, we use our wet vac with the upholestry attachment to suck up whatever dirt and allergens are imbedded on most of the surfaces. For spot cleaning (or if you don't have or can't rent a wet vac), I love Oxyclean spray. The formula attracts to organic matter and foams/"cleans" it that way. Just spray and scrub down with a damp cloth. It leaves a "just laundered" smell. =) Febreeze with allergen reducers works pretty good at keeping the allergens down as well. Also, Oust santizing spray for Surfaces and Air works great too! hehe (And yea...I have all of these products! hehe LOL) I have tried a whole bunch of other stuff, but these work best for us....oh my hubby swears by Spot Shot. =)p
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 10:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I USE A LIT ROLLER....AND A OR A VACUUM ....ALSO FOR BAD SPOTS USE VINEGAR AND WATER ...I ALWAYS SEE PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING THEY USE IT AND I WAS EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL BUT IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED....I LIKE RENUZIT BETTER THAN FEBREEZE I FIND THEN SCENT LAST LONGER! OHHH AND I LOVE OUST ALSO !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• For the hair use a lint roller or the Pledge pet hair remover. As for the allergens, I have a severe cat allergy and my allergist says it takes 6 months for cat dander to dissipate.

The smell is a completely different challenge. I use Febreeze for pet odors. It helps, but I do feel like it covers the odors and not eliminates them (as they advertise).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I just got the Scotch brand pet hair remover and that thing is awesome at removing pet hair. I use Lysol to spray my couch - I like the clean linen scent.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009