I have been living in my town for a year now, trying to meet new parents from my sons school for play dates, ( my son is autistic) but I am finding it hard what can I do...any sugestions?

Smiley0815

Asked by Smiley0815 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wonder if you could talk to your son's doctor and ask if their office will give your name and number to other moms in the area who also have autistic children. If you haven't already, you can ask about autism support groups.

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• what about asking local preschools. Have you joined a church? I too have an autistic son and it is very hard to find friends for him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was new to an area too and sometimes i would reach out a little and expect people to take it upon themselves to invite me to something since I was new. I would encourage you to do the inviting. Call some moms from your sons class and tell them you are inviting several from the class and ask if they will meet you at the park after school. Maybe you can makeit a standing weekly playdate and change locations for winter. B4 you know it you will have spent many hours talking with the moms and will gain friends.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009