Do you ever get financial advice from people who don't know your situation well enough to be giving it?

The most recent example I can think of is how DH wants a motorcycle and it seems like every one of his friends has to weigh in on the subject. First of all, we don't have the money for another payment right now. We're paying off medical bills and my honest opinion is, a motorcycle is not a necessity. I'm sure he'll get one eventually but not right now. We keep hearing about how "it's only X amount of dollars every month." It would be nice to have X amount of money every month just to have for incidentals like last weekend when DH's car broke down. Of course the people giving all this "advice" don't have children or a mortgage. I don't want to be rude but it does get old.

Does anyone else ever have this type of thing come up? How do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I tell them if it is only X amount of dollars they can buy it for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I get advice all the time for things that a person doesn't know enough of....doesn't just have to be finances! lol
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yup, my dumbass SIL tried to tell me what a wonderful deal she and her husband got on life insurance recently and tried to get me to "sign up" until I showed her my policy. looking at the damn paperwork the beyotch still refused to believe she was being ripped off.
    when i asked her if she wanted me to review any of her other recent purchases, she just shutup up for the rest of the evening.it was wonderful.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know what you mean. It is so frustrating! Even my SO talks like this, some people are just terrible with money or speak b4 they think. I would sit down with SO and go over bills and see if you guys can come up with a plan to have one in your future so atleast the 2 of u are on the same page. Ten when his friends say something he can say "maybe next year", or "I'd have to have a 2nd job"..instead of "she says no" I would just try to ignore the other people. I take it perosnal to but you have to make te right decisions for your family and you have to live with it not them. Going off on them wont help them understand..someday when you are debt free they may wish they had listened and acted smarter too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My husbands Aunt is always trying to say what we should be doing, she has even writtten it up a few times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• This one really gets me also. My dad is a very successful financial planner and investor and he has taught me well,,, needless to say I didnt follow a lot of the advice because I was young and stupid and thought I had the answers but anyways.. My DH and me are friends with a couple who had to file bankruptcy, and give up their house. They are in their 30's with 2 kids and living with his parents now and they are always giving out financial advice. I think thats quite funny. We have no debt, no bills except for the reg things, no credit cards, nothing and they are always telling us how we "live beyond our means" I think its hilarious!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OP here - he doesn't say to them that I tell him no. He just doesn't say anything so half the time I feel like they probably think it's because of me after all. It's not just me. We have talked about it and we both know it's just not a possibility at this point. It would be nice if he would just say it's not up for discussion because really it's inappropriate for people to discuss our money situation like that. But he will not say anything at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009