If a man has his identity stolen, would you blame it on him for not being more careful, or the person who stole his identity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The person who stole it is at fault.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The person that stole it.

We have had our identities at risk 2 different times because someone hacked into Tricare (military healthcares) computers. Thankfully nothing happened. We just had to have fraud alerts put on our credit reports which can be a pain if you decide to obtain some credit. I is kind of hard to be there to answer your home phone while at Home Depot actually purchasing a new washer/dryer!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• the person who stole his identity. He should know that is wrong!

I have a friend that just found out that some guy had been using his identity for years. The good thing is this guy is in prison now. But my friend has to get a new S.S. number.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My ex stole my identity before our divorce was final. A year or so after our divorce I discovered my credit was trashed when I tried to get a new car. I was stuck to because we were actually married at the time he did it. My lawyer helped me for free though. I had a bad divorce, nothing to fight over, but the ex was a jerk and drug things out. I had to pay off more than $10,000 worth of junk. The companies took it off my credit report after I paid for stuff. It took me a while though. I had to work an extra job. People never think about this type of situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• How could anyone blame the victim of any crime is beyond me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow, this is truly a stupid question!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Anon :05...thats what my DH's ex did to him as well. She and her boyfriend went and used his ID to get credit cards and purchase things and racked up a buttload of debt in his name.

However, because he was still legally married to her they couldnt do squat about it. So he ended up having to deal with it all and she walked away scott free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well if an old lady was walking down the street and her purse was stolen do you blame her for walking down the street?? --- hopefully not! so yes the theif is to be blamed not the victim... obvious right?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If I guy picks up a prostitute, gets drunk and passes out, then she steals his wallet (identity included) off the bed stand who gets the blame? It's not an all or nothing deal. Just because one person is MORE guilty doesn't mean the other is completely innocent. It depends on the circumstances.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• not panicking, that situation does not apply to the real question. it idoesnt say -- if a whore that you hired stole the identity....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009