A pretty good friend was going to lend me baby things, now she wants to charge me. What should I do?

I asked a friend to lend or give me old baby stuff as I am expecting my first in December and am going to quit my job to be a full time mommy! She said "sure!" Now she said she worked up a list with "good prices" and wants me to buy the things because she doesnt want them back as she may not have any more kids. Awkward! Somethings I probably will need to buy and Im sure she will have a fair price. I guess I want to see what I get as gifts or free from other friends. I guess my feelings are a little hurt too. But maybe it was tacky of my to ask for things for free in the first place. She was in my wedding though, I thought she was a good friend. She is a stay at home mom too, and probably my family is a little more stable financially. I had already borrowed her co-sleeper, now I wonder if I should just give it back. Arghhh... What should I do

Anon1818

Asked by Anon1818 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in About CafeMom

• That's a tough one. Maybe you could just buy a couple of things off of her that you really, really want, then try to get other stuff from other people. Are you having a baby shower? You'd be surprised at how much you get! Good luck!!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• This is a difficult situtation. I agree with the PP though. Wait to see what you get at your shower. I got so much I really didn't have to buy a lot. If you want to buy a few things from her maybe that wouldn't be bad but don't feel obligated just because you might be better off. If she was going to lend them at first it is kind of tacky to charge you now. I hope it all works out however you want it to.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is tacky or assumption for things to be given from friends for your baby. Personally just buy the things yourself so you don't place yourself in a position like this again.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Her friend is the tacky one. You don't tell someone you will lend them something then go back on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Are you sure that you can afford to stay home? Will you be able to save enough money for retirement and college?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• tell her you've changed your mind.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• rkoloms..what a tacky answer.what does that have anything to do with her question? seriously she didntask whether or not she could afford to stay home..it was rude of you to ask her that.

anyways..i think it was a little tacky to ask for her things for free..maybe if she had offered you her old baby things and then she wanted to charge you then she'd be the tacky one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Are you sure that you can afford to stay home? Will you be able to save enough money for retirement and college? no where in her qustions didn she asked if she could afford to stay athome or not, besides why do u care? i dont plan on paying for my kids college!! they can work and pay themselves!! and maybe she does have a retirment plan what are u the suze orman of cafemom??? !!!!1
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Screw that! I would go to a resale store and get the stuff.
    I mean she DID mislead you. I can understand your being upset!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2009