Breast Feeding Moms....

Should I be concerned. DS was nearly 10lbs. at birth. Now at 7 months he is 18lbs. I nurse on demand plus he is on cereal, fruit and veggies. My concern is he is not getting enough breast milk. Some nights he seems to latch on all night. How do I know he's getting enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As you add more foods he will nurse less. Keep nursing on demand. I EBF my son until 10 months and I nursed on demand and he was eating enough. Check for wet diapers and as long as DS is growing he is getting enough.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If he's gaining weight, and you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, he's getting enough. Even if his gain slows down (which it might at this age) if he's not LOSING, it's cool. Just make sure you nurse before offering solids. Sounds like you are doing great. That's a nice, healthy weight.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 6-8 diapers/24 hrs and staying on a growth curve. there are bf growth charts at kellymom.com- a bf baby obviously grows at a different rate than a ff baby, so if you want to plot a curve it should be on a bf chart; as long as he stays on his established curve he is fine- ignore the percentiles, each baby is different. and make sure he gets milk before solids- this way he gets all he needs from you and "practices" with the solids
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2009