Have you read the article in TIME about spanking? What's your opinion on the subject?

This is the article's link
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1926222,00.html

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think that spanking would actually decline a child's IQ if it is used in rare instances like to get a point across about something that they have done is potentially dangerous (ie running into the street or a parking lot). I don't spank but I pop an hand when it has done wrong and is doing something dangerous. I was spanked and am no worse for the wear. My SO was spanked and it didn't do him any good. When it comes to IQ's he is in the genius category and I am way above average. So we have bright child that can and does test her limits which is what toddlers are supposed to do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• "Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs"

I read the title and ended it there. IQ has NOTHING to do with your butt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't think it's the right thing to do, but that's me. I wouldn't want my kids to be afraid of me, or my husband, I know what that's like and it's not a good thing. Also I don't think that spanking is effective at all, I think it makes most kids act out even more, it also teaches them to either hit or take abuse.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• How can you form an opinion without reading or understanding what the article is about?

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have to agree with Time mag. article. A child doesn't know from wrong and or right at a young age. They are trying to figure things out just let them explore and be a child. Try humor, when you tend to be upset with your child. I have spanked my child afew times , but time outs work better and I can explain to him while he is in time out. He threw a huge item at or puppy over and over until I jumped out of my body and spanked him once. Not sure why he was doing this either and he had time out.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i wasn't spanked quite that young, but all four of us were spanked once we knew what yes and no meant. we all have above average IQ's. i think it is more likely that a child with poor reasoning ability is spanked more due to parental frustration, which is not OK. children shouldn't be punished for not thinking quickly enough to suit an adult. beyond that, i personally didn't see a whole lot of merit to the theory. there are too many variables with regards to IQ determination to say that spanking lowers it by causing a fear reaction.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Some countries have laws against spanking. This study may be used to try to pass a law against spanking in the US.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My husband was spanked as a child and his IQ tests at the genius level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I did read it and put it in with a lot of those other entertainment as news type of articles. I think that you can find a study to back up whatever you think. Most studies are biased. Spanking was used very sparingly in our home and it was effective. We used a variety of discipline methods. If you want a study here it goes- 100% of children spanked in my study grew up to be on the honor roll. The children report a close and loving relationship with their parents. The study subject did not feel abused and report no lasting scars. They do however report knowing Mom and Dad are in charge. The parents report this effective and sparingly used form of punishment to be a personal choice.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Read it, don't agree with it, I spank my kids, son is doing great in school, I was spanked, I was an honor student, these studies are crap. If you don't spank your kid, more power to you but don't tell me my kids are not going to be as smart as others because they get spanked. When they graduate, we'll talk again and I'll update you on how they did in school. If you spank your child across the head repeatedly, then maybe I could see the connection!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009